What is the fundamental nature of matter and energy?

• B
  • Thread starter kolleamm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter
In summary, matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. It is important because it makes up everything in the universe, including living organisms and non-living objects. The three main states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas, each with their own distinct properties. Atoms are the building blocks of matter, and they combine to form molecules that make up all matter in the universe. Matter and energy are closely related, with matter being able to store energy and energy being able to cause matter to move or change. The study of matter is important in science as it helps us understand the properties and interactions of substances, leading to advancements in various fields and technologies.
kolleamm
I mean on a deeper more fundamental level. In my mind I've always had the idea that the universe is like a set of strings. Matter being knots and entanglements in those strings, and energy being vibrations on it.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Drakkith said:
Matter is just excitations of specific fields. Electrons are excitations of the electron field, quarks are excitations of the quark field, etc.

See the series of articles from this page: https://profmattstrassler.com/artic...-basics/fields-and-their-particles-with-math/
I tried reading some of it but it seems to get really complicated fast. Is there a simpler definition for a field?

kolleamm said:
I tried reading some of it but it seems to get really complicated fast. Is there a simpler definition for a field?

Trouble is the question you asked only has an answer using advanced math. At your level, and not entirely correct, the following book is understandable at the beginning level:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0473179768/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Thanks
Bill

There's not much we can do with this question except to suggest some areas for further reading. We've done that so this thread is closed.

Related to What is the fundamental nature of matter and energy?

What is matter and why is it important?

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. It is important because it makes up everything in the universe, including living organisms and non-living objects.

What are the different states of matter?

The three main states of matter are solid, liquid, and gas. Solid matter has a definite shape and volume, liquid matter has a definite volume but takes the shape of its container, and gas matter has no definite shape or volume.

What are the building blocks of matter?

The building blocks of matter are atoms, which are made up of protons, neutrons, and electrons. These tiny particles combine to form molecules, which in turn make up all matter in the universe.

How does matter interact with energy?

Matter and energy are closely related. Matter can store energy, and energy can cause matter to move or change. For example, when wood is burned, the stored energy is released as heat and light.

Why is the study of matter important in science?

Studying matter allows us to understand the properties and behavior of different substances, and how they interact with each other. This knowledge is essential in fields such as chemistry, physics, and biology, and helps us develop new materials and technologies to improve our lives.