Perpetual Machine: Is It Possible?

• B
  • Thread starter JakeBnet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using gravity to generate perpetual energy, but it is not possible due to the laws of thermodynamics. Even if an incredibly dense object were to exist, its thermal energy would not be enough to continuously produce energy without consuming mass. The concept of perpetual motion and free energy are considered pseudoscience and are not allowed to be discussed on the forum.
JakeBnet
Hey, I'm new on the forum and I have a pretty basic understanding of physics, I hope this question isn't obvious I just need some help getting my head around it.

I was reading up on the problem with gravity of a means of generating perpetual energy, the fundamental problem being that gravitational potential energy is only generated through the original force required to separate an object from the centre of a gravitational field. Which of course is always more than the energy that can be harvested from the attraction.

However what if you had an incredibly dense ball of matter that was stable and undergoing no atomic or molecular change, the opposing forces would generate thermal energy indefinitely no? Surely the opposing forces of the rapidly vibrating atoms and the infinite pull of gravity would create energy without consuming mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
FYI, perpetual motion machines is not a permitted subject on this forum. For the reason that it violates the conservation of energy, a physical law that has never been observed to be violated, in hundreds of years and millions of experiments. Energy does not get created, or destroyed. Ever.
What's usually violated is thus the understanding of physics of the person trying to build one.

JakeBnet said:
Hey, I'm new on the forum and I have a pretty basic understanding of physics, I hope this question isn't obvious I just need some help getting my head around it.

I was reading up on the problem with gravity of a means of generating perpetual energy, the fundamental problem being that gravitational potential energy is only generated through the original force required to separate an object from the centre of a gravitational field. Which of course is always more than the energy that can be harvested from the attraction.

However what if you had an incredibly dense ball of matter that was stable and undergoing no atomic or molecular change, the opposing forces would generate thermal energy indefinitely no? Surely the opposing forces of the rapidly vibrating atoms and the infinite pull of gravity would create energy without consuming mass?
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

As already pointed out, PMMs and Free Energy are banned topics here. Please follow the links in the quote from the PF rules below to learn more about why they cannot work.
Banned Topics said:
Pseudoscience, such as (but not limited to):

Perpetual motion and "free energy" discussions
http://wiki.4hv.org/index.php/Free_Energy_Debunking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_motion
http://www.skepdic.com/freeenergy.html
http://www.skepdic.com/perpetual.html

I know it is locked, but a couple of quick notes:
JakeBnet said:
I was reading up on the problem with gravity of a means of generating perpetual energy...
Be careful where you are reading-up on it: my thermodynamics book has a section on perpetual motion -- that's good. Youtubue videos, bloggers, PMM companies? Often not good.
...the fundamental problem being that gravitational potential energy is only generated through the original force required to separate an object from the centre of a gravitational field. Which of course is always more than the energy that can be harvested from the attraction.

Two things:
1. Force isn't energy. Energy (work) is force times distance. So an object sitting still in a gravitational field is not generating or consuming energy.

2. Thermal motion of atoms in an object is perpetual, but it isn't consumed or produced: it is constant. So as you try to harvest it (by using it to heat something), the energy is consumed. So you cannot use an object's thermal energy for continuous energy production.

Likes cnh1995 and berkeman

Related to Perpetual Machine: Is It Possible?

1. What is a perpetual machine?

A perpetual machine is a hypothetical device that can continue to operate indefinitely without needing any external energy source. It is often described as a machine that can produce more energy than it consumes, thus violating the laws of thermodynamics.

2. Is it possible to create a perpetual machine?

Currently, there is no evidence or scientific theory that supports the possibility of creating a perpetual machine. The laws of thermodynamics state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. Therefore, it is highly unlikely that a perpetual machine can be built.

3. Have there been any successful attempts at creating a perpetual machine?

No, there have been no successful attempts at creating a perpetual machine. Many have tried to build such a machine, but all have failed due to the limitations of the laws of thermodynamics. Any machine claiming to be a perpetual machine is most likely a hoax or a misunderstanding of the laws of thermodynamics.

4. Why is it important to understand the concept of a perpetual machine?

The idea of a perpetual machine has been a subject of fascination for many people, and it has captured the imagination of scientists, inventors, and the general public for centuries. However, understanding the concept of a perpetual machine is crucial in debunking pseudoscience and promoting scientific literacy. It also helps us appreciate the laws of thermodynamics and the principles of energy conservation.

5. Can a perpetual machine be used for renewable energy production?

No, a perpetual machine cannot be used for renewable energy production. The production of energy in a perpetual machine would require violating the laws of thermodynamics, which is impossible. Instead, we should focus on developing and utilizing real sustainable energy sources that abide by the laws of thermodynamics.