What is the Full-Load Voltage of a DC Generator at 800 rpm?

In summary, a dc generator with a rating of 10 kW, 208 V, and 50 A when rotating at 1000 rpm has a no-load voltage of 236 volts. To calculate the full-load voltage at 800 rpm, one must use Faraday's Law and consider the decrease in speed, resulting in a voltage of 188.8 volts.
Katsmed23

Homework Statement

A dc generator is rated at 10 kW, 208 V, and 50 A when it rotates at 1000 rpm. The resistance of the armature windings is 0.56 . Assume that the magnitude of the magnetic field remains constant.
(a) Calculate the "no-load" voltage at 1000 rpm (when there is no circuit hooked up to the generator).

(b) Calculate the full-load voltage (i.e. at 50 A) when the generator is run at 800 rpm

Homework Equations

V-Vw - Vl = 0
Vw = IRw
Faraday's Law (where EMF = the magnetic flux with respect to time ->the derivative)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a because i know that the no load voltage supplied by the genrator is the voltage of the idealized generator. Thus 208V + (.56 x 50A) = 236 Volts = CORRECT

Part B I can't seem to find! I know we're looking for the voltage load, and that the voltage is poportional to faradays law, where (BxA) x w = radians / sec..

BAsically if V = 236 V at 1000rpm, vL = ? at 800 rpm? I even tried figuring that the rpm frequency is 20% less, so maybe the voltage would be 20% less? (188.8) = wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Your idea sounds right to me. So what answer does it give?
Uload <> 188.8 because it is the generator voltage, U, that is proportional to speed.
So at 800 rpm U = 188.8 V
Then Uload = U - Uw as you said.
So what is the given answer for (b)?

Related to What is the Full-Load Voltage of a DC Generator at 800 rpm?

1. What is the purpose of a DC generator?

A DC generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy through the process of electromagnetic induction. It is used to produce direct current (DC) electricity, which is necessary for many electronic devices.

2. How does a DC generator work?

A DC generator works by using a magnetic field and a coil of wire to produce an electric current. As the coil spins within the magnetic field, it cuts through the lines of magnetic flux, creating an alternating current (AC) voltage. This voltage is then converted into direct current (DC) by a commutator, which is a rotating switch that changes the direction of the current flow.

3. What factors affect the voltage output of a DC generator?

The voltage output of a DC generator is affected by several factors, including the speed of rotation, the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the size and shape of the commutator. Additionally, the resistance of the circuit and the load connected to the generator can also affect the voltage output.

4. Can a DC generator produce different voltages?

Yes, a DC generator can produce different voltages by adjusting the factors that affect its output. For example, increasing the speed of rotation or the strength of the magnetic field can result in a higher voltage output, while decreasing these factors can result in a lower voltage output.

5. What are the applications of a DC generator?

A DC generator has many applications, including powering electronic devices, providing backup power in case of a power outage, and generating electricity in remote areas or off-grid locations. It is also commonly used in vehicles as part of the charging system for the battery.