Permanent magnet DC Generator questions

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving a compressed air motor and a Permanent magnet DC generator. The generator's power output will be used to determine the amount of air flowing through the motor. The voltage output of the generator can be set to 12, 24, 36, 48, 90, or 120, depending on the load and rpm. The generator will be plugged into a variable resistance and the current will adapt to the resistance set. The topic of maximum power point tracking (MPPT) is also mentioned for power conversion systems with a variable output impedance source.
Zeph
Hello, I'm a mechanical engineering student currently working on a project which involves a compressed air motor and a Permanent magnet DC generator.

I have this generator :
http://www.windstreampower.com/443905_PMDCG.php

Basically, we'll use the generator power output to determine the power output of the pneumatic motor, with that we can get the amount of air flowing through the motor.

I would like to understand how voltage will be decided. They say "Output Voltages: 12, 24, 36, 48, 90, or 120 (determined by load and rpm)"

The generator will be plugged on a variable resistance

the way I see it is that if the generator runs at 1000rpm, ill get 50Volts(1st graph)
I'd then get around 2.5Amps and 125Watts(graph 2),
would the resistance set itself to 20ohm or would the current adapt to the resistance I set?

thx for clarifying I'm a little bit confused :)

Engineering news on Phys.org

Related to Permanent magnet DC Generator questions

1. What is a permanent magnet DC generator?

A permanent magnet DC generator is a type of electrical generator that uses a permanent magnet to create a constant magnetic field. This field is used to generate electricity through the process of electromagnetic induction.

2. How does a permanent magnet DC generator work?

A permanent magnet DC generator works by rotating a coil of wire within a magnetic field created by a permanent magnet. As the coil rotates, it cuts through the magnetic field, creating an electric current. This current is then collected and used as a source of power.

3. What are the advantages of a permanent magnet DC generator?

One advantage of a permanent magnet DC generator is that it does not require an external power source to create a magnetic field, making it a self-sustaining system. Additionally, it is more efficient and has a simpler design compared to other types of generators.

4. What are the applications of a permanent magnet DC generator?

Permanent magnet DC generators are commonly used in small-scale power generation, such as in portable generators, wind turbines, and hydroelectric power systems. They are also used in various industrial and commercial applications, such as in electric vehicles and backup power systems.

5. How do you maintain a permanent magnet DC generator?

To maintain a permanent magnet DC generator, it is important to regularly inspect and clean the generator, particularly the magnets and the coil of wire. Any corrosion or buildup should be removed to ensure efficient operation. It is also important to monitor the voltage and current output to detect any potential issues early on.