What is the Frictional Force on the Wooden Crate?

In summary, an older gentleman applies a 120 N force at an angle of 30° to a 10 kg crate containing childhood toys. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the well-polished floor is 0.1. Using the equations F=ma, mgsin(θ), f=μN, and W=mg, it can be determined that the frictional force on the crate is less than the horizontal component of the applied force, indicating that the crate is accelerating. The problem does not mention an inclined plane, and the definition of coefficient of friction should be considered when solving this problem.
Saged

Homework Statement

An older gentleman drags a wooden crate (m = 10 kg) containing his childhood toys out of storage. The 120 N force F that he applies on the crate makes an angle of 30° with the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction μk between the well-polished floor and wooden crate is experimentally determined to be 0.1. What is the frictional force f on the crate? (cos 30° = .866, sin 30° = .5)

Homework Equations

F=ma
mgsin(θ)
f = μN
W=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution in front of me, however, it's killing me that I can't solve it.

Any assistance would be fantastic.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Identify all forces..
2. Since no acceleration, no change in uniform motion, net force must be equal to zero.
3. Draw free-body diagram.

I don't think it's safe to assume no acceleration and I don't think you need to.

First off look up the definition of coefficient of friction. Hint: It's a ratio.

As he is pulling up at an angle he is reducing the vertical force between box and floor caused by the weight of the box. Calculate the resulting vertical force. The rest should be easy. If not then look at the definition of coefficient of friction again.

Then for personal interest you could check if the frictional force is more or less than the horizontal component of the force the man is applying. If less then the box is accelerating.

PS: the title says "Inclined Plane Dilemma" but the problem does not appear to mention an inclined plane.

I was able to figure it out after hours of studying.

Thanks everyone!

Related to What is the Frictional Force on the Wooden Crate?

What is an inclined plane dilemma?

An inclined plane dilemma is a physics problem in which an object is placed on an inclined plane and the forces acting on the object are analyzed to determine its motion.

What are the factors that affect an inclined plane dilemma?

The factors that affect an inclined plane dilemma are the angle of the incline, the mass of the object, and the force of gravity.

What is the relationship between the angle of the incline and the force of gravity?

The force of gravity acting on an object on an inclined plane is directly proportional to the sine of the angle of the incline. This means that as the angle of the incline increases, the force of gravity also increases.

How does the mass of the object affect an inclined plane dilemma?

The mass of the object affects the force of gravity acting on the object, which in turn affects its motion on the inclined plane. A heavier object will experience a greater force of gravity and therefore will require more force to move up the incline.

What is the significance of an inclined plane dilemma in real-world applications?

Inclined plane dilemmas are relevant in many real-world applications, such as ramps for wheelchair accessibility, loading docks, and conveyor belts. Understanding the forces at play in these situations is crucial in designing efficient and safe systems.