What is the minimum force required to move the box?

In summary: The force on the block must be equal to the mass multiplied by the acceleration.This is where algebra is useful. I can see you have been taught to plug in the numbers but that makes it difficult in this case.
thomovich
Homework Statement
What is the minim Force F necessary to make the crate start moving up the incline?
Relevant Equations
F_push=mgsin(ø)+F_f
F_f= µ_s mgcos(ø)
Problem Statement: What is the minim Force F necessary to make the crate start moving up the incline?
Relevant Equations: F_push=mgsin(ø)+F_f
F_f= µ_s mgcos(ø)

My values
m = 80kg
ø = 20
Fø = 15
static friction = 0,5
constant friction = 0,4
F _push = 80kg * 9.8 m/s^2 *sin(20) + 0,5 * 80kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * cos(20)
This gives 636,503N
Because the force is coming at an angle i divide my Newtons with cos
636,503N/cos(15) = 658,956 N required to make the crate move.
Attached below is the photo of the drawing.
crate.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
thomovich said:
F_f= µ_s mgcos(ø)
Careful! A more accurate version would be: F_f= µ_s N, where N is the normal force. (Since the applied force is at an angle, it will affect the normal force.)

Okay, that is true but in order to find my N i need to F and my task is to find F, can you lead in the direction of what equations I am looking for to solve this problem? Cause at this moment i don't know where to go forward that's why i went to the forum.

thomovich said:
Okay, that is true but in order to find my N i need to F and my task is to find F, can you lead in the direction of what equations I am looking for to solve this problem? Cause at this moment i don't know where to go forward that's why i went to the forum.
This is where algebra is useful. I can see you have been taught to plug in the numbers but that makes it difficult in this case.

You should keep ##F## and ##N## as variables and look at all the forces on the block.

Likes CWatters
+1

There are two unknowns (F and N) but you can write two independant equations. Therefore it's solvable.

I am not saying you cannot solve i just do not know how :)

Start by writing an equation for the force components perpendicular to the plane. What must they add to?

Related to What is the minimum force required to move the box?

What is the minimum force required to move the box?

The minimum force required to move a box depends on several factors, including the weight of the box, the surface it is being moved on, and the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface. In general, the force required would be equal to the weight of the box multiplied by the coefficient of friction.

How do you determine the coefficient of friction between the box and the surface?

The coefficient of friction can be determined through experiments or by consulting tables that provide average values for different materials. It is a measure of the amount of resistance the surface exerts on the box and can vary depending on factors such as surface roughness and the presence of lubricants.

What if the box is on an inclined surface?

If the box is on an inclined surface, the force required to move it will be affected by the angle of the incline. The force required will be less if the incline is smaller and greater if the incline is steeper. The coefficient of friction will also play a role in determining the force required.

Is there a way to reduce the force required to move the box?

There are a few ways to reduce the force required to move a box. One way is to decrease the weight of the box by removing some of its contents. Another way is to decrease the coefficient of friction by using a lubricant on the surface. Additionally, using wheels or casters on the box can also reduce the force required to move it.

Is there a limit to the minimum force required to move the box?

Yes, there is a limit to the minimum force required to move a box. This limit is determined by the laws of physics and the properties of the materials involved. In some cases, the force required may be so small that it is difficult to measure, but there will always be some amount of force required to overcome friction and move the box.