What is the formula for calculating relative velocities in Special Relativity?

• Thread starter Quarlep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of three objects in the universe and their relative velocities, with the speaker attempting to use a formula for special relativity. They express frustration and confusion over the results and ask for help in finding all possible velocities for the three objects. The responder asks for clarification on terms and explains the need for using special relativity instead of Newtonian theory.
Quarlep
Lets suppose three objects O,A and B are set up in universe and nothing else.Then O seems A is moving 0.3c And B is moving 0.5c .In Special Relativity we have relative velocities formula I want to formule it but result seems absurd can you find me all possible velocities I mean A, O and B observer
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Quarlep said:
In Special Relativity we have relative velocities formula I want to formule it but result seems absurd
What results did you get? Why do they seem absurd?

VCB=VOB-VOC I thought like this But this is not true in special relativity.In special Relativity it like the relative formule for special relativity isn't it ?

Last edited:
Quarlep said:
VCB=VOB-VOC
You'll need to define your terms. (What is C, for example?)

Quarlep said:
I thought like this But this is not true in special relativity.In special Relativity it like the relative formule for special relativity isn't it ?
You'll certainly need to add the velocities using special relativity, not Galilean relativity.

C is speed to O

Quarlep said:
VCB=VOB-VOC
But you said there were only 3 objects O, A and B, so there is no object C? I'm going to assume by "C" you mean "A", so, in Newtonian theory it would be[tex]
v_{AB} = v_{OB} - v_{OA}.
[/tex]Then in special relativity it is[tex]
v_{AB} = \frac{ v_{OB} - v_{OA} } { 1 - \frac{ v_{OB} v_{OA} } {c^2} },
[/tex](provided all velocities are parallel).

Thanks

Related to What is the formula for calculating relative velocities in Special Relativity?

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the speed and direction of an object in relation to another object. It takes into account the motion of both objects and their respective velocities.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

Relative velocity is calculated by subtracting the velocity of one object from the velocity of another object. This can be done using vector addition or by using the relative velocity formula: Vrel = Vb - Va, where Vrel is the relative velocity, Vb is the velocity of the second object, and Va is the velocity of the first object.

3. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when the two objects are moving in opposite directions. The negative sign indicates that the objects are moving in opposite directions and the magnitude of the relative velocity is the difference between the two velocities.

4. How does relative velocity affect collisions?

Relative velocity plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of collisions between objects. The relative velocity of two objects at the point of impact determines the force and direction of the collision. Objects with higher relative velocities will experience larger forces and potentially cause more damage.

5. How is relative velocity used in real-world applications?

Relative velocity is used in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It is used to calculate the motion of objects in space, to determine the impact of collisions, and to calculate the velocity of objects in relation to a reference point. It is also used in the development of transportation systems, such as airplanes and spacecraft, to ensure safe and efficient travel.