What is the Formula for Calculating Angular Deceleration in College Physics?

In summary, to find the angle through which a flywheel turns as it comes to rest from an angular speed of 117 rad/sec with a constant angular deceleration of 2.5 rad/sec^2, the formula w^2=wo^2+2a(theta) can be used. However, since w^2 is 0, theta cannot be calculated using this formula. To find the time required for the flywheel to come to rest, the formula t = (w - wo) / a can be used, with w = 0 rad/sec, wo = 117 rad/sec, and a = -2.5 rad/sec^2. This is analogous to one of the 5 basic kinematic equations
winterma
A flywheel has a constant angular deceleration of 2.5 rad/sec^2. I need to ...

1. find the angle through which the flywheel turns as it comes to rest from an angular speed of 117 rad/sec.

2. Find the time required for the flywheel to come to rest.

So i used the formula w^2=wo^2+2a(theta) since w^2 is 0, that would make theta 0, which is not possible.

Physics news on Phys.org
So i used the formula w^2=wo^2+2a(theta) since w^2 is 0, that would make theta 0, which is not possible.
What in the world makes you say that?
w = 0 rad/sec
wo = 117 rad/sec
a = -2.5 rad/sec^2
So solve for theta.
There's another simple equation you can use to answer part 2. You have w, wo, and a, and you need to find t. I'm sure you can find the formula in your book somewhere. If not, it is analogous to one of your 5 basic kinematic equations, simply replacing linear measurements for corresponding angular ones, so if you can't find it, you should be able to figure it out.

Thank you

Got it! Thanks!

Related to What is the Formula for Calculating Angular Deceleration in College Physics?

1. What is the difference between classical and modern physics?

Classical physics deals with the laws of motion and gravity that were developed by Isaac Newton in the 17th century. Modern physics, on the other hand, includes theories such as quantum mechanics and relativity that were developed in the 20th century to explain phenomena that classical physics could not.

2. How do I prepare for a college physics course?

To prepare for a college physics course, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. It is also helpful to review basic physics concepts such as motion, forces, and energy. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills can also be beneficial.

3. What are some common career paths for someone with a degree in physics?

Some common career paths for someone with a degree in physics include research and development in industries such as engineering, aerospace, and technology. Other options include working in academia as a professor or researcher, or pursuing a career in data analysis, finance, or consulting.

4. How can I improve my understanding of physics concepts?

One way to improve your understanding of physics concepts is to actively engage with the material. This can include working through practice problems, participating in class discussions, and seeking help from professors or tutors when needed. Additionally, using visual aids, such as diagrams and simulations, can also aid in understanding complex concepts.

5. What are some common misconceptions about physics?

One common misconception about physics is that it is only relevant to scientists and engineers. In reality, physics concepts and principles can be applied to many different fields and everyday experiences. Another misconception is that physics is all about memorization and equations, when in fact it involves critical thinking and problem-solving skills.