What is the Force Required to Move a Crate on an Incline Plane with Friction?

In summary, in this conversation, the question was how to find the force necessary to start a crate moving on a slope with a mass of 32kg and a coefficient of static friction of 0.58. The approach involved finding the weight of the crate, the normal force, and the force of friction. Then, it was explained that in order to overcome the frictional force and start the crate moving, an additional force would need to be applied. Finally, the equation used to calculate this additional force was shown and the resulting answer was provided.
dolpho

Homework Statement

Find the force necessary to start the crate moving, given that the mass of the crate is 32 and the coefficient of static friction between the crate and the floor is 0.58. The angle is 21 degrees below horizontal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand where to go from here, I've found out the answer but really don't understand why we use the equations we do. Would appreciate any help regarding the logic behind the methods!

My attempt:

Weight = 32kg x 9.81 = 313.9 Newtons
Normal Force = 313.9 cos(21) = 293 Newtons
The force parallel to the plane = 313.9(sin21) = 112.5N

The Force of Friction = 293 x .57 = 167N

Now this is pretty much the farthest I can get without understanding what I'm doing. I think I did the above steps right I'm not completely sure. Would appreciate any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
so the crate is sitting on some slope, but is not moving because the frictional force acting on it is greater than the force due to gravity pushing it down the slope (which is the weight parallel to the surface)

so right now Ffric > Fweight

let's say you apply some force F in the same direction as Fweight

how big would F need to be in order to make Fweight + F > Ffric?

SHISHKABOB said:
so the crate is sitting on some slope, but is not moving because the frictional force acting on it is greater than the force due to gravity pushing it down the slope (which is the weight parallel to the surface)

so right now Ffric > Fweight

let's say you apply some force F in the same direction as Fweight

how big would F need to be in order to make Fweight + F > Ffric?

I guess any number that you can add to make the force greater than the frictional force? So in our case the force parallel is is 112.5 and the Frictional force is 167. So we need an extra 54.5 Newtons to make the crate move.

pretty much

SHISHKABOB said:
pretty much

So how would that help us in getting the answer of 250 Newtons?

In the solution they put,

(.57) (313) / cos21 - .57sin21 = 250 Newtons

I don't really get how we end up there from what we have so far.

Related to What is the Force Required to Move a Crate on an Incline Plane with Friction?

1. What is an incline plane with friction?

An incline plane with friction is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is tilted at an angle and a box or object that is placed on the surface. The surface has a rough texture which creates friction between the surface and the object, making it harder for the object to slide down the incline.

2. What is the purpose of an incline plane with friction?

The purpose of an incline plane with friction is to make it easier to move objects from a lower height to a higher height. The incline reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object, and the friction helps to prevent the object from sliding down the incline.

3. How does friction affect the motion of an object on an incline plane?

Friction affects the motion of an object on an incline plane by creating a force that opposes the motion of the object. This force is known as the frictional force and it acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the object, making it harder for the object to move down the incline.

4. What factors can affect the amount of friction on an incline plane?

The amount of friction on an incline plane can be affected by several factors, including the texture of the surface, the weight of the object, and the angle of the incline. A rougher surface, a heavier object, and a steeper incline will all result in a greater amount of friction.

5. How can the amount of friction on an incline plane be reduced?

The amount of friction on an incline plane can be reduced by using a smoother surface, reducing the weight of the object, or decreasing the angle of the incline. Additionally, adding a lubricant, such as oil, to the surface can also help to reduce the friction between the surface and the object.