What is the Force on a Rectangular Loop in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, the current I1 is increasing in the direction of the arrow, and the net force on the rectangle of wire is -1.35x10-3N, pointing downwards.
fogvajarash

Homework Statement

Let d = 0.048m, L = 0.15m, r = 0.10m in the following diagram. Assume that the current I1 = 80.0A and I2 = 40.0A. Find the net force on the rectangle of wire and the direction it points, and state the direction of the emf if the current I1 is increasing in the direction of the arrow.

Diagram: http://imgur.com/RmvkO9n

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I have that the force is given by F = BIl. In this case, B would come from the field created by the current I1. So, we would get that the force will be (let force 1 be for the closest part of the loop and force 2 for the farthest part of the loop):

F1 = [itex]\frac{μI2I1l}{2πd}[/itex] ≈ -2x10-3N
F2 = [itex]\frac{μI2I1l}{2π(d+r)}[/itex] ≈ 6.49x10-4N

Then, the net force would be Fnet = -1.35x10-3N, pointing downwards. However, I get a mistake. Why is this the case? I'm thinking that my procedure is right until now, as there will be no force felt by the loop wires perpendicular to the long wire. I tried to perhaps calculate an induced current, but I can't do so as I don't have a resistance.

For the second part, the current would be induced to even out the flux change, so the induced B field should point down, leading to an opposite direction of the induced current as stated in the diagram. This is because the flux of the long wire would be increasing upwards in the plane of the wire.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi foggy, I can't see the diagram you are referring to !

BvU said:
Hi foggy, I can't see the diagram you are referring to !

So sorry! I have uploaded it right now.

I would expect B to be smaller at r+d than at d, so |F| too. Wouldn't you ?

I suppose the -3 is really a -4 ?

How do you know you get a mistake ?

With ##\mu = 4\pi 10^{-7}## I get the same as you...

Last edited:
BvU said:
I would expect B to be smaller at r+d than at d, so |F| too. Wouldn't you ?

I suppose the -3 is really a -4 ?

How do you know you get a mistake ?

With ##\mu = 4\pi 10^{-7}## I get the same as you...

My bad again sorry. The computer system is telling me that I have made a mistake (I'm not sure where though). In the meantime, is my reasoning for the flux current correct? Thanks for your time and patience.

Well, as I said, same result: same value, same direction.

Your reasoning for the induced emf is right, too. Since they don't tell us how the I2 comes about, there isn't much more that can be said about the effects.

BvU said:
Well, as I said, same result: same value, same direction.

Your reasoning for the induced emf is right, too. Since they don't tell us how the I2 comes about, there isn't much more that can be said about the effects.
Thanks for everything thus far. Apparently there's been an error with the question grading, so I'm pretty sure our answer we have come up to is the correct one. Thanks for everything.

Related to What is the Force on a Rectangular Loop in a Magnetic Field?

1. What is the formula for calculating the force on a rectangular loop?

The formula for calculating the force on a rectangular loop is F = I * l * B * sinθ, where F is the force in Newtons, I is the current in Amperes, l is the length of the loop in meters, B is the magnetic field strength in Tesla, and θ is the angle between the loop and the magnetic field.

2. How does the orientation of the rectangular loop affect the force on it?

The force on a rectangular loop is directly proportional to the sine of the angle between the loop and the magnetic field. This means that the force will be greatest when the loop is perpendicular to the field, and will decrease as the angle decreases. When the loop is parallel to the field, the force will be zero.

3. Can the force on a rectangular loop be negative?

Yes, the force on a rectangular loop can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the loop and the magnetic field is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative sine value. A negative force indicates that the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of the current in the loop.

4. How does increasing the current in the loop affect the force on it?

Increasing the current in the loop will increase the force on it, as long as all other variables (loop length, magnetic field strength, and angle) remain constant. This is because the force is directly proportional to the current.

5. What is the practical application of understanding the force on a rectangular loop?

Understanding the force on a rectangular loop is important in various fields, including engineering, physics, and electronics. It can be used to design and optimize electromagnetic devices, such as motors and generators. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of electric circuits and in the development of technologies such as magnetic levitation.