What is the Force Exerted on a Parachutist During Free Fall Deceleration?

In summary, the parachutist of mass 80 kg experiences a deceleration of 12.5 m/s^2 when hitting the ground at a velocity of 5 m/s. This results in the ground exerting a force of 1000 N on the parachutist's feet.
Jacobpm64

Homework Statement

A parachutist of mass 80 kg approaches the ground at 5 m/s. Suppose that when he hits the ground, he decelerates at a constant rate (while his legs buckle under him) over a distance of 1 m. What is the force the ground exerts on his feet during the deceleration?

Homework Equations

[tex] \vec{F} = m \vec{a} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think a lot of this information is extraneous. Isn't the force that the ground exerts on the parachutist going to be opposite his weight?

So, [tex] \vec{F} = mg = (80 * 9.8) = 784 [/tex] N

I'm not sure about this because it seems odd that all of that extra information would be given if it is not needed.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're supposed to find the acceleration (decelleration in this case) before you find the force the ground exerts on him.

You're given a velocity, a distance, what equation can you use to determine the decelleration?

So, let's see what I can do.

[tex] x_{0} = 1 m[/tex]
[tex] v_{0} = 5 m/s[/tex]
[tex] x = 0 m[/tex]
[tex] v = 0 m/s[/tex]

[tex] a(x-x_{0})=\frac{1}{2}(v^2 -v_{0}^2) [/tex]

solving for a,

[tex] a = \frac{v^2-v_{0}^2}{2(x-x_{0})} [/tex]

Plugging in the numbers,

[tex] a = \frac{(0)^2 - (5)^2}{2(0-1)} [/tex]

[tex] a = 12.5 m/s^2 [/tex]

So, what do I do now, do I still factor in gravity?

ok so decelleration is 12.5m/s^2 now you can use that a in order to find the force he exerts on the ground, and then the force the ground exerts on him.

So,

[tex] F = ma = (80 * 12.5) = 1000 N[/tex]

Final Answer.

How's that look?

yes but the acceleration should be -12.5 since it's deceleration,
so the parachuter exerts -1000N on the ground, and the ground exerts the 1000N on the parachuter.

Related to What is the Force Exerted on a Parachutist During Free Fall Deceleration?

1. What is the difference between dynamics and free fall?

Dynamics refers to the study of motion and the forces that cause it, while free fall specifically refers to the motion of an object falling under the influence of gravity without any other forces acting on it.

2. How does air resistance affect free fall?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. In free fall, air resistance can slow down the object's descent, causing it to fall at a slower rate than if it were in a vacuum.

3. What is the acceleration due to gravity during free fall?

The acceleration due to gravity during free fall is approximately 9.8 m/s². This means that for every second an object falls, its speed increases by 9.8 meters per second.

4. Can an object experience free fall on Earth?

Yes, an object can experience free fall on Earth if it is in a vacuum or if the effects of air resistance are negligible. An example of this is a skydiver falling through the air, as the effects of air resistance are minimal at high altitudes.

5. How does mass affect free fall?

Mass does not directly affect the rate of free fall. All objects, regardless of their mass, will accelerate at the same rate due to gravity. However, a heavier object will experience a greater force of gravity, resulting in a larger force of air resistance and potentially a slower descent.