What is the final volume of container B?

In summary: P (pressure). If V1 and V2 are the initial volume of the two containers, then W would be 1.097x10x15=1500 J.
skinard360
Two 800\; cm^3 containers hold identical amounts of a monatomic gas at 20^\circ C. Container A is rigid. Container B has a 100\; cm^2 piston with a mass of 10 kg that can slide up and down vertically without friction. Both containers are placed on identical heaters and heated for equal amounts of time.
Suppose the heaters have 25 W of power and are turned on for 15 s. What is the final volume of container B?

I found the initial pressures of both container B, I then plugged that into the initial pV=nRT to find n, then plugged that into
E=[nc(constant pressure)deltaT] using 25x15=375 J as the value for E. This determined delta T, I then plugged that (with T = delta T + 293) into the final pV=nRT to get V. This seems like it's probably too complicated, and I didn't get the right answer...can someone please help??

Physics news on Phys.org
skinard360 said:
Two 800\; cm^3 containers hold identical amounts of a monatomic gas at 20^\circ C. Container A is rigid. Container B has a 100\; cm^2 piston with a mass of 10 kg that can slide up and down vertically without friction. Both containers are placed on identical heaters and heated for equal amounts of time.
Suppose the heaters have 25 W of power and are turned on for 15 s. What is the final volume of container B?

I found the initial pressures of both container B, I then plugged that into the initial pV=nRT to find n, then plugged that into
E=[nc(constant pressure)deltaT] using 25x15=375 J as the value for E. This determined delta T, I then plugged that (with T = delta T + 293) into the final pV=nRT to get V. This seems like it's probably too complicated, and I didn't get the right answer...can someone please help??

I'm somewhat confused with your notation 100\; and I don't know what the significance of container A is.

that should just be 100 cm squared. I'm not sure what the significance is of container A is either...it may have to do with question (a) which asked which container would have the higher final temp. Do you think container A should have some part in the answer?

skinard360 said:
that should just be 100 cm squared. I'm not sure what the significance is of container A is either...it may have to do with question (a) which asked which container would have the higher final temp. Do you think container A should have some part in the answer?

ahh, ok, A seems to be only for part a).

I'll poke at b) and give you hints

to start you off, they give you power (in watts) and the length of time that power is exposed to the system. Power has energy of units over time and time has units of time. Using those two quantities, you should be able to calculate the energy put into the system by the heaters.

furthermore, Boltzmann's constant and temperature are equatable to energy.

Last edited:
I think... that container A and B share the energy from the heater.

that would be the thermal energy, right? 375 J...did I use the right equation above with E=ncdeltaT with c=20.8 ? or should it be another equation, since that equation is assuming that the pressure in the system stays constant

Also, for constant pressure, W = P(del V)

(work equals pressure times the change in volume)

which can be represented as W = P(V2 - V1)

skinard360 said:
that would be the thermal energy, right? 375 J...did I use the right equation above with E=ncdeltaT with c=20.8 ? or should it be another equation, since that equation is assuming that the pressure in the system stays constant

What is c? That looks an awful lot like part of the phase change equation which shouldn't be used here, that's for when a material changes form (from liquid to gas and such)

I tried another equation to get the final temp...thermal energy = 375 = (3/2)NkBT...then plugged it into pv=nRT but this didn't work either
For the work equation above, does work = 375? I feel like I'm getting more confused the further I go

I'm not quite sure about this. Let me play with it more and get back to it

Kenny Lee said:
I think... that container A and B share the energy from the heater.

This may be a good point too, I'm not sure. What's the answer so I know when I get it?

I'm not sure what the answer is...sorry

but I know the initial pressure is 1.097 atm

note that in B, some of the work is going to go into lifting the piston:

W=mgh

skinard360 said:
but I know the initial pressure is 1.097 atm

then why wouldn't W = P(V2-V1) work then? pressure stays constant if volume is allowed to change (i.e. the piston)

You just have to make sure you use the right W (that is, whether it's the full energy delivered by the heaters or only half.

skinard360 said:
Suppose the heaters have 25 W of power and are turned on for 15 s. What is the final volume of container B?I found the initial pressures of both container B, I then plugged that into the initial pV=nRT to find n, then plugged that into

How did you determine the pressure in A and/or the volume in B?

AM

Related to What is the final volume of container B?

1. What is the final volume of container B and how is it measured?

The final volume of container B is the amount of space inside the container after all the substances have been added. It can be measured using a measuring cylinder or by calculating the difference in volume between the initial and final measurements.

2. What factors can affect the final volume of container B?

The final volume of container B can be affected by the amount and type of substances added, temperature, pressure, and any chemical reactions or changes in state that may occur.

3. Can the final volume of container B change over time?

Yes, the final volume of container B can change over time if there are any changes in the substances inside the container, such as evaporation, chemical reactions, or changes in temperature and pressure.

4. How does the final volume of container B relate to its capacity?

The final volume of container B is the actual amount of space occupied by the substances inside, while the capacity is the maximum amount of space the container can hold. The final volume may be less than or equal to the capacity, depending on the amount of substances added.

5. Is the final volume of container B the same as its final weight?

No, the final volume of container B and its final weight are two different measurements. Volume is a measure of space, while weight is a measure of the mass of the substances inside the container. The final volume may remain the same, but the weight can change due to changes in density or mass of the substances.