What Is the Final Speed of a Steel Ball Launched from a Platform?

In summary, the problem involves a steel ball being launched at 25 degrees above horizontal from a 15 meter high platform with an initial speed of 10m/sec. Using the formula Vf2=Vi2-2g(y-yi), the final speed can be calculated as 13.56m/sec. This is based on the assumption that the initial angle does not affect the result and the value of gravity is 9.8.
rqu1ntana
A steel ball is launched at 25 degrees above horizontal from the top of a platform that is 15 meters above ground. If the initial speed is 10m/sec, what is the final speed when it strikes the ground?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi rqu1ntana! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

(use the standard constant acceleration equations, in the x and y directions separately)

The problem is that its for a test and i just want to be sure what i did was right. This is what i did,

I used the formula Vf2=Vi2-2g(y-yi), where Vi2 is the initial velocity, g is gravity=9.8, y is 0, and yi is the height.

from all the data given this is what it looks like, Vf=(102-(2*9.8*(-15)))1/2

The result i get from this is 13.56m/sec, i this right?

hi rqu1ntana! :smile:
rqu1ntana said:
from all the data given this is what it looks like, Vf=(102-(2*9.8*(-15)))1/2

The result i get from this is 13.56m/sec, i this right?

yes that looks fine :smile: … you've used conservation of energy (so the 25° doesn't matter)

except that you keyed in -110 instead of 100 ! :redface:

To find the final speed of the steel ball, we can use the equation for projectile motion: vf = vi + at, where vf is the final speed, vi is the initial speed, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the ball takes to reach the ground.

First, we need to find the time the ball takes to reach the ground. This can be calculated using the equation y = viy*t + (1/2)*a*t^2, where y is the vertical displacement, viy is the initial vertical velocity, and a is the acceleration due to gravity. In this case, y = -15m (since the ball starts at a height of 15m and ends at ground level), viy = 10m/s (since the ball is launched at an angle of 25 degrees above horizontal), and a = -9.8m/s^2 (the acceleration due to gravity). Solving for t, we get t = 1.42 seconds.

Now, we can plug this value for t into the first equation to find the final speed: vf = 10m/s + (-9.8m/s^2)(1.42s) = 10m/s - 13.96m/s = -3.96m/s.

Therefore, the final speed of the steel ball when it strikes the ground is approximately 3.96m/s. It is important to note that the negative sign indicates that the ball is moving downwards, as expected.

Related to What Is the Final Speed of a Steel Ball Launched from a Platform?

1. How do you calculate final speed?

The final speed can be calculated using the formula v = u + at, where v is the final speed, u is the initial speed, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. What is the difference between final speed and average speed?

The final speed is the speed at the end of a given time period, while average speed is the total distance covered divided by the total time taken. Average speed is a measure of the overall speed throughout the entire journey, while final speed only reflects the speed at one point in time.

3. How do you find final speed without acceleration?

If there is no acceleration, the final speed can be calculated using the formula v = u, where v is the final speed and u is the initial speed. This means that the final speed will be equal to the initial speed if there is no change in acceleration.

4. How does mass affect final speed?

Mass does not directly affect final speed. However, the acceleration of an object is inversely proportional to its mass, meaning that a heavier object will have a lower acceleration and therefore a lower final speed compared to a lighter object.

5. Can final speed be greater than initial speed?

Yes, final speed can be greater than initial speed if the object is accelerating. If the object is decelerating, the final speed will be less than the initial speed. However, if there is no acceleration, the final speed will be equal to the initial speed.