Why is energy-momentum symmetry important in special relativity?

• Thread starter krab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, SR is a theory that explains the behavior of particles whose velocities are not small compared with the speed of light. It is very detailed and symmetric, and if it is even a tiny bit wrong, our accelerator would not work.
Hi Tom - yes, and hi to you - I suppose my inveterate skepticism was a give away. When they restructured the forums the yogi bear logo wasn't available - so i adopted the name and dropped the Provo. When we last conversed, you were awaiting a decision on a research department appointment that would enable you to continue a particular intrigue re quantum mechanics. Did that come to fruition?

Yes - as to your question if we are interpreting "propriety" in the same way.

Regards

Yogi (Provo)

Physics news on Phys.org
yogi said:
Hi Tom - yes, and hi to you - I suppose my inveterate skepticism was a give away.

LOL, no, the clincher was the "Yogi"!

When they restructured the forums the yogi bear logo wasn't available - so i adopted the name and dropped the Provo.

With the new software, you aren't limited to what we have available. If you can find a picture you want online, get the URL and you can upload it to PF through your User Control Panel. That's what I did with mine.

When we last conversed, you were awaiting a decision on a research department appointment that would enable you to continue a particular intrigue re quantum mechanics. Did that come to fruition?

No, I never heard back from them. Right now I'm teaching math and engineering at a small college, and preparing to return next year to get back to work on my PhD.

Yes - as to your question if we are interpreting "propriety" in the same way.

I interpret it as accurately describing observational evidence. As was fleshed out over the course of this thread, my position is that any theory that results in the LT implies the speed of light postulate (I had been saying *both* postulates, but I am still thinking about pmy_phys' comment). That is, alternatives to SR that result in the LT aren't alternatives at all, but rather they are possible explanations as to why SR is true. That is, the alternatives aren't going to tell you that light speed isn't always measured at 'c', but they can possibly explain why this is so. Either way, the postulate of SR is appropriate.

Regards

Yogi (Provo)[/QUOTE]

Back to you Tom,

Sorry the appointment didn't materialize - one is never sure about what goes on behind the scenes - who knows, the path you are on now may lead to greater rewards.

Thanks for the tip re the logo - I will try it soon.

The reason SR is of particular interest to me is in connection with a theory of gravity I developed some years ago - it requires that space behave (at least mathematically) as a dynamic - along the lines proposed by Dirac. For me, the search for a physical explanation as to why SR relativity is consistent with experiment is an ongoing hobby.