Robert Wald's General Relativity: Energy-Momentum Relation

In summary, Wald's equation is a generalisation of the one you know, which is that equation in the rest frame of the observer, where: ##p_a = (E, \vec p)## and ##v^a = (-1, 0, 0 ,0)##.
carpinus
Hello,
this is my first thread.
Robert Wald, in General Relativity, equation (4.2.8) says :
E = – pa va
where E is the energy of a particle, pa the energy-momentum 4-vector and va the 4-velocity of the particle. How can I see this is compatible with the common energy-momentum-relation E2 – p2 = m2 ?
many thanks for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
carpinus said:
Hello,
this is my first thread.
Robert Wald, in General Relativity, equation (4.2.8) says :
E = – pa va
where E is the energy of a particle, pa the energy-momentum 4-vector and va the 4-velocity of the particle. How can I see this is compatible with the common energy-momentum-relation E2 – p2 = m2 ?
many thanks for help.
In this case, ##v^a## is the four-velocity of the observer who is measuring the energy of the particle. Wald's equation is a generalisation of the one you know, which is that equation in the rest frame of the observer, where: ##p_a = (E, \vec p)## and ##v^a = (-1, 0, 0 ,0)##. In that reference frame ##p_av^a = -E##.

The more general equation follows from the invariance of the inner product between coordinate systems.

The equation you quote is actually the invariance of the inner product ##p_ap^a##. In the rest frame of the particle we have ##p_a = (m, 0, 0, 0)##, hence ##p_ap^a = -m^2##. Meanwhile, in a different frame we have ##p_a = (E, \vec p)## and ##p_ap^a = -E^2 + p^2##, where ##p = |\vec p|##.

Likes vanhees71, robphy, hutchphd and 2 others
PeroK said:
Wald's equation is a generalisation of the one you know, which is that equation in the rest frame of the observer, where: ##p_a = (E, \vec p)## and ##v^a = (-1, 0, 0 ,0)##.
To be pedantic, you've written down the components of ##p^a## and ##v_a## there. And further pedantry, I think Wald would say that because you are using a specific coordinate system you should use Greek indices.

@carpinus: Geometrically, ##p_av^a## is the projection of ##p^a## on to the vector ##v^a##. In a coordinate system where that four velocity is the timelike basis vector, this is equal to the zeroth comonent of ##p^\mu## in that basis (times -1 because of Wald's choice of -+++ metric signature). On the other hand, ##E^2-p^2=m^2## is more generally written ##p_ap^a=-m^2##, which in geometrical terms says that the modulus-squared of the four momentum is minus the mass squared. So the equations are compatible, but are saying different things.

Likes vanhees71, robphy and Orodruin
Ibix said:
And further pedantry, I think Wald would say that because you are using a specific coordinate system you should use Greek indices.
That's not pedantry. That's specificity to Wald's conventions. Mathematical conventions are not dictated to that extent.

Likes vanhees71
thank you for your answers.
As far as I understand, pa and va both relate to the same laboratory frame, whereas E is the energy of the particle in the rest frame of the observer. However, the 3-momentum only enters equation (4.2.8) if the laboratory frame is not the rest frame of the observer. Therefore, equation (4.2.8) in fact does not relate energy and momentum (as measured in the same frame).
When reading I was confused by the line "… as measured by an observer – present at the site of the particle - … " .

Likes vanhees71
carpinus said:
When reading I was confused by the line "… as measured by an observer – present at the site of the particle - … " .
Yes, in GR quantities are measued locally. So, we have an observer with four-velocity ##v^a## measuring the energy of a particle with four-momentum ##p^a##, when it is local to the observer.

No overall "lab" frame is required or implied, as the local measurement itself is an invariant quantity: i.e. "everyone agrees" on the local measurement.

In whatever frame we analyse the measurement, where the ##v^a## and ##p^a## have specific components appropriate for that frame, the quantity ##p_av^a## is the same invariant quantity, owing to the invariance of the inner product.

Likes vanhees71 and Ibix
carpinus said:
As far as I understand, pa and va both relate to the same laboratory frame, whereas E is the energy of the particle in the rest frame of the observer.
Not quite. ##p_av^a## is an invariant that can be calculated with any choice of coordinates.

However, ##v^a## defines a local frame (or at least the timelike direction of one), and the invariant is equal to the energy of the particle measured in this frame. You could calculate the particle momentum in this frame if you wanted (it is moving, in general) using ##p_ap^a=-m^2## or ##E^2-p^2c^2=m^2##, but Wald is not interested in doing so at this point.

carpinus said:
How can I see this is compatible with the common energy-momentum-relation E2 – p2 = m2 ?
By itself, you can't, because you also need a formula for the momentum ##p## of the particle as observed by the same observer.

carpinus said:
Therefore, equation (4.2.8) in fact does not relate energy and momentum (as measured in the same frame).
That is correct. Equation (4.2.8) says that the energy of the particle as measured by a particular observer (the one whose 4-velocity is ##v^a##) is (the negative of) the inner product of the particle's 4-momentum and the observer's 4-velocity. It says nothing at all about the momentum of the particle as measured by that observer.

Likes vanhees71
Incidentally, if you do want the three momentum of the particle in the frame defined by ##v^a##, you can take the four momentum ##p^a## and subtract off ##Ev^a## (i.e., the component of the four momentum parallel to ##v^a## multiplied by a unit vector in that direction) to get ##p^a-Ev^a##. That's a four vector whose modulus is the three-momentum in that frame (if you can't see why, think about it in the frame where ##v^a=(1,0,0,0)##). If you calculate the modulus-squared of that four vector, remembering that ##p_ap^a=-m^2## and ##p_av^a=p^av_a=-E## and keeping careful track of the minus signs, you'll get a familiar looking result.

Likes vanhees71 and PeterDonis

1. What is the energy-momentum relation in Robert Wald's General Relativity?

The energy-momentum relation in Robert Wald's General Relativity is a fundamental equation that describes the relationship between energy and momentum in the context of Einstein's theory of general relativity. It states that the energy and momentum of a system are conserved and are related to the curvature of spacetime.

2. How is the energy-momentum relation derived?

The energy-momentum relation is derived using the Einstein field equations, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy within it. By solving these equations, one can determine the energy and momentum of a system and how they are related.

3. What is the significance of the energy-momentum relation in general relativity?

The energy-momentum relation is significant because it allows us to understand how energy and momentum are conserved in the context of general relativity. It also helps us to understand the effects of gravity on the motion of particles, as well as the behavior of light and other forms of energy in curved spacetime.

4. How does the energy-momentum relation differ from the energy-momentum relation in special relativity?

In special relativity, the energy-momentum relation is given by the famous equation E=mc^2, which relates the energy of a system to its mass and the speed of light. In general relativity, the energy-momentum relation is more complex and takes into account the curvature of spacetime, making it a more accurate and comprehensive description of energy and momentum in the universe.

5. Are there any practical applications of the energy-momentum relation in general relativity?

Yes, the energy-momentum relation in general relativity has many practical applications, including in the study of black holes, gravitational waves, and the behavior of matter and energy in extreme environments. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as GPS, which relies on the precise understanding of spacetime curvature and the effects of gravity.