What is the final charge on the capacitor in this circuit?

If the switch is closed at t=0, then the capacitor will initially charge to 42V, and no current will flow through the third resistor. However, if you're looking for the charge on the capacitor after the switch is closed and the circuit reaches equilibrium, then you would need to take into account the current flowing through all three resistors. In summary, the final charge on the capacitor can be found by taking into account the initial voltage of 42V and the current flowing through all three resistors.
joshanders_84
So I have done most of this problem, but can't seem to find the final charge on that capacitor. It says that there was a switch, even though it is not in the image, and that at t=0 the switch is closed, and that the capictor had no charge initially. I solved for and know that I1 = 4.2 A, I2 = 1.4 A, and I3 = 2.8 A, where 1, 2, and 3 refer to the resistors with the same numbers. But I can't solve for the final charge on the capacitor! I know that Qf = EC, and the capacitance is 4 * 10^6, and that E = 42V, but (4*10^6)(42) wasn't right. So then I solved for the Voltage that goes through resistor 3 and got that it was 8.2V, but (4*10^6)(8.2) wasn't right either. I don't understand what the proper answer is, or how to obtain it. Your help is appreciated; thanks!
Josh

Attachments

• charged_capacitor.jpg
    charged_capacitor.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 337
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're asking for the "final charge" on the capacitor then there should be no current flowing through the third resistor.

Based on the information provided, it seems like you have all the necessary values to solve for the final charge on the capacitor. It's possible that you made a calculation error or used the wrong units in your calculations. Make sure to double check your work and use consistent units throughout.

Also, keep in mind that the voltage across the capacitor will not be the same as the voltage across resistor 3. The voltage across the capacitor will depend on the total current flowing through the circuit, not just the current through resistor 3. So, you may need to use Kirchhoff's laws to calculate the total current and then use that in your calculation for the final charge on the capacitor.

If you're still having trouble, it might be helpful to break down the problem into smaller parts and solve for each component individually. This can help you identify any errors or misunderstandings in your calculations.

Overall, it's important to carefully review the problem and make sure you're using the correct equations and values to solve for the final charge on the capacitor. Don't hesitate to reach out for additional help if needed. Good luck!

Related to What is the final charge on the capacitor in this circuit?

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor charge?

A capacitor charges when a voltage source, such as a battery, is connected to it. The positive plate of the capacitor accumulates positive charges, while the negative plate accumulates negative charges. This creates an electric field between the plates and stores electrical energy.

3. What is the purpose of charging a capacitor?

The purpose of charging a capacitor is to store electrical energy for later use. Capacitors are commonly used in electronic circuits to provide a temporary power source or to filter out noise.

4. How long does it take to charge a capacitor?

The time it takes to charge a capacitor depends on the capacitance of the capacitor and the amount of current flowing into it. It can range from a few microseconds to several seconds.

5. Can a capacitor be overcharged?

Yes, a capacitor can be overcharged if the voltage source is not disconnected after it reaches its maximum voltage. This can cause the capacitor to fail and potentially cause damage to the circuit.