What is the equivalent of a group in category theory?

In summary, category theory provides a different perspective on mathematical structures and emphasizes the importance of morphisms over objects. A category is defined by objects and morphisms that respect the structure of the objects. Functors are functions between categories and can help understand structures in different areas of mathematics. Category theory can be useful in understanding constructions like tensor products and direct sums, and is particularly important in fields like cosmology.
Krunchyman
I understand that in group theory, a group consists of a set and a binary operation for the elements in the set, and of course all the group axioms. But if we move away from set theory into category theory, is a group defined on a category?

Physics news on Phys.org
A category is defined by objects and morphisms, which are mappings between the objects that respect the structure of the objects.
Groups and (group) homomorphisms are an example of a category.
Sets and functions are another example of a category.
Others are (vector spaces, linear transformations), (topological spaces, continuous functions), (rings, ring homomorphisms), (##\mathbb{C}^n##, differentiable functions) and so on.

Some objects can even belong to more than one category, e.g. ##\mathbb{R}^n## is a group, a ring, an algebra, a vector space and a topological space and all are usually always sets. The functions between categories are called functors. They map objects from one category to another, e.g. a group to its underlying set, and also the morphisms: homomorphisms to functions. This particular functor is called forgetful-functor, because it forgets the structure of the group.

Last edited:
fresh_42 said:
A category is defined by objects and morphisms, which are mappings between the objects that respect the structure of the objects.
Groups and (group) homomorphisms are an example of a category.
Sets and functions are another example of a category.
Others are (vector spaces, linear transformations), (topological spaces, continuous functions), (rings, ring homomorphisms), (##\mathbb{C}^n##, differentiable functions) and so on.

Some objects can even belong to more than one category, e.g. ##\mathbb{R}^n## is a group, a ring, an algebra, a vector space and a topological space and all are usually always sets. The functions between categories are called functors. They map objects from one category to another, e.g. a group to its underlying set, and also the morphisms: homomorphisms to functions. This particular functor is called forgetful-functor, because it forgets the structure of the group.
Should I learn category theory? Sounds like it could be useful.

Krunchyman said:
Should I learn category theory? Sounds like it could be useful.
... to achieve what? Should I and useful depend on a system of values that I don't know. It is partly useful to better understand the nature of constructions like tensor products, direct sums or what is meant, if someone says exact differential form, and why they are so widely used. I wouldn't go as far as to say it is useful in a general case, except for the study of say cosmology or other realms where homological constructions and topology play a major role. In my opinion it is useful to read a bit about the terms I've mentioned in a book about homological algebra, esp. about the universal property. I would not go as far as to say study it, because it is a rather abstract point of view.

Krunchyman said:
I understand that in group theory, a group consists of a set and a binary operation for the elements in the set, and of course all the group axioms. But if we move away from set theory into category theory, is a group defined on a category?

A group is a category with one object in which all of the morphisms are isomorphisms.

Likes mathwonk
Krunchyman said:
A group requires structure beyond that of a set, where you have the barebones structure of whether an element belongs to a set or not; it requires algebraic structure: an operation, I believe binary from pairs of the group into the group. Category theory, as I understand it, is the perspective that you can gain understanding of structures by understanding the elements as well as mappings between them that preserve structure in a precise sense/definition.

to me the lesson from category theory is that morphisms are more important than objects. so in any subject you study, learn what a morphism is, and especially learn what an isomorphism is. learn a few things from a category perspective, such as a "product" of two objects X,Y is not necessarily the set iof all pairs (x,y) with x in X and y in Y, but rather it is an object Z together with a pair of morphisms Z-->X and Z-->Y, such that, for any W, a morphism W-->Z is equivalent to two morphisms W-->X and W-->Y.

Last edited:
Likes lavinia
mathwonk said:
to me the lesson from category theory is that morphisms are more importamnt than objects. so in any subject you study, learn what a morphism is, and especially learn what an isomorphism is. learn a few things from a category perspective, such as a "product" of two objects X,Y is not necessarily the set iof all pairs (x,y) with x in X and y in Y, but rather it is an object Z together with a pair of morphisms Z-->X and Z-->Y, such that, for any W, a morphism W-->Z is equivalent to two morphisms W-->X and W-->Y.

Similar to the idea of a morphism, is the idea of a functor. It applies to many different areas of mathematics.

Likes mathwonk
yes i especially like the ideas codifed by functors. this is a precise version of the notion that morphisms are at least as important as objects, since a functor must tell how to transform, not just old objects into new ones, but also old morphisms into new ones. especially recommended to beginners is the fact that all functors carry isomorhisms of the old sort, into isomorphisms of the new sort. I recall amusement at finding in the old fashioned (but well regarded) topology book of hocking and young, after proving homology had the properties of a functor, the separate proof that a homeomorphism induces an isomorphism in homology.

1. What is a group in category theory?

A group in category theory is a set of objects and morphisms that follow specific rules and properties. It consists of a set of objects, a set of morphisms between those objects, and two operations of composition and identity. These operations must satisfy the associative and identity laws, and every object must have an inverse with respect to composition.

2. What is the equivalent of a group in category theory?

The equivalent of a group in category theory is a groupoid. A groupoid is a generalization of a group where the inverse property is not required for every object. It is a category where every morphism has an inverse, and the morphisms between two objects form a group.

3. How does a group differ from a groupoid?

A group differs from a groupoid in that it requires every object to have an inverse with respect to composition, while a groupoid does not have this requirement. This means that a groupoid can have objects with multiple inverses, while a group only has one inverse for each object.

4. Can a group be considered a category?

Yes, a group can be considered a category. In category theory, a category is a mathematical structure that consists of objects and morphisms between those objects. A group can be seen as a category with only one object, where the elements of the group are the morphisms and the group operation is the composition.

5. How are groups and categories related in category theory?

Groups and categories are related in category theory in that groups can be seen as special cases of categories. A group is a category with one object, and a category can be considered a groupoid if all of its morphisms have inverses. Additionally, many of the concepts and properties in category theory, such as composition and identity, are based on those in group theory.