What is the equation of the circle for |(z+1)/(z-1)|=3?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating and graphing a complex number equation and the question of whether the solution is correct. The topic is related to learning about complex numbers. The given task is to calculate and graph |(z+1)/(z-1)|=3 and the conversation also touches on the modulus of complex numbers. The solution involves squaring both sides and completing the square for x, and it is concluded that the equation represents a circle.
trenekas
Hello! Few weeks ago we started learning complex number. And i have some questions about that because not all i understand and also don't know if my solution is good :)
Also don't know if my name of topic is good :) if something goes wrong just say. I'd be grateful

My task: |(z+1)/(z-1)|=3 need to calculate and graph that.
I know that modulus of complex number z=x+yi is equal to |z|=√x^2+y^2

The same i tried to do in my exercise.
|(z+1)/(z-1)|=3
[itex]\sqrt{(x+1)^2+y^2/(x-1)^2+y^2}=3[/itex] then i sqaured both sides
[itex](x+1)^2+y^2/(x-1)^2+y^2=9[/itex]
[itex](x+1)^2+y^2=9((x-1)^2+y^2))[/itex]
[itex]x^2+2x+1+y^2=9x^2-18x+9+9y^2[/itex]
[itex]8x^2-20x+8+8y^2=0[/itex]
[itex]x^2+1+y^2=(20x/8)[/itex]
[itex]x^2+y^2=(20x/8)-1[/itex]
And that's it what i done. For real i have no idea how graph that and not sure if this solution is good. Thanks for advise what i need to do next or correct my mistakes :)

P.S. I think this is a circle, but don't know where is center and what is radius.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
trenekas said:
Hello! Few weeks ago we started learning complex number. And i have some questions about that because not all i understand and also don't know if my solution is good :)
Also don't know if my name of topic is good :) if something goes wrong just say. I'd be grateful

My task: |(z+1)/(z-1)|=3 need to calculate and graph that.
I know that modulus of complex number z=x+yi is equal to |z|=√x^2+y^2

The same i tried to do in my exercise.
|(z+1)/(z-1)|=3
[itex]\sqrt{(x+1)^2+y^2/(x-1)^2+y^2}=3[/itex] then i sqaured both sides
[itex](x+1)^2+y^2/(x-1)^2+y^2=9[/itex]
[itex](x+1)^2+y^2=9((x-1)^2+y^2))[/itex]
[itex]x^2+2x+1+y^2=9x^2-18x+9+9y^2[/itex]
[itex]8x^2-20x+8+8y^2=0[/itex]
[itex]x^2+1+y^2=(20x/8)[/itex]
[itex]x^2+y^2=(20x/8)-1[/itex]
And that's it what i done. For real i have no idea how graph that and not sure if this solution is good. Thanks for advise what i need to do next or correct my mistakes :)

P.S. I think this is a circle, but don't know where is center and what is radius.

You're on the right track. It is a circle. Keep all the terms on the left hand side (LHS), complete the square for x. Finally, move the constant over to the RHS, then compare with the standard equation for the circle.

Related to What is the equation of the circle for |(z+1)/(z-1)|=3?

1. What is the definition of "Locus of complex number"?

The locus of a complex number is the set of all points in the complex plane that satisfy a given equation or condition. It is the geometric representation of all possible values of the complex number.

2. How is the locus of a complex number represented graphically?

The locus of a complex number can be represented graphically as a curve or shape on the complex plane. The shape can be a line, circle, ellipse, or any other curve depending on the equation or condition that defines the locus.

3. What is the significance of the locus of a complex number in mathematics?

The locus of a complex number plays a crucial role in many areas of mathematics, such as complex analysis, geometry, and algebra. It allows us to visualize and understand the behavior of complex numbers and their relationships with other mathematical concepts.

4. How is the locus of a complex number related to the modulus and argument of the complex number?

The locus of a complex number is closely related to its modulus and argument. The modulus determines the distance of the complex number from the origin, while the argument determines its angle from the positive real axis. The combination of these two values defines the position of the complex number on the complex plane, and therefore, its locus.

5. Can the locus of a complex number be a single point?

Yes, the locus of a complex number can be a single point if the equation or condition defining it reduces to a single value. In this case, the complex number represents a specific point on the complex plane, and its locus would be that point itself.