What is the Equation for the Tangent Line of g(x) at Point x=2?

In summary, the conversation involved finding the equation of a tangent line to the graph of a function g(x) at x=2, given the function f(x) with f(2)=3 and f'(2)=-5. The correct answer is y-6 = -5(x-2), which is not one of the given options. Another incorrect option is y-6 = -7(x-2).
Johny 5

Homework Statement

Let f be a function differentiable function with f(2) = 3 and f'(2) = -5, and let g be the function defined by g(x) = xf(x). Which of the following is an equation of the line tangent to the graph of g at point where x=2?
a. y=3x
b y-3 = -5(x-2)
c y-6 = -5(x-2)
d y-3 = -7(x-2)
e y-6 = -10(x-2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

given:
x=2
y=3
so
3=-5(2)+b
b=13
so
g(x) = x(-5x+13)
g(x) = -5x^2 + 13x
g'(x) = -10x +13
g'(2) = -7
point slope form:
d. y-3 = -7(x-2)
is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you've done here is taken the tangent line to f(x) at point x = 2 and assumed it to be f(x).

so the whole thing is incorrect?

[tex]g'(x)=f(x)+xf'(x)[/tex]

[tex]g'(2)=f(2)+2f'(2)=3-10=-7[/tex] this will be the slope of the tangent line at x=2, on the graph of g. now slope-intercept formula for a line is

[tex]g-g(x_0)=k(x-x_0)=>g-g(2)=-7(x-2)[/tex] and youre almost done.

Just find what g(2) is, substitute it, and bummmm, that's your answer.

Well you tell me. Firstly you did not finish solving your equation, you stopped as soon as you saw that g'(2) = -7 and assumed that was the answer. If you had solved it all you would see that you get y - 6 = -7(x - 2). This is not an option.

I will however give you a starter:

y = -5x + 13 is NOT the function f(x), it is the equation of a tangent and only applies as far as we know at point x = 2.
Edit: Scratch that - stupid error.
Read what sutupidmath said.

Last edited:
g(2) = (2)f(2)
g(2) = 2*3
g(2) = 6... hmm that's not an option

I stopped at g'(2) = -7 because that would be the slope, m, (you got it too) and i just plugged the given into the point slope formula (x = 2 and y = 3)

Johny 5 said:
g(2) = (2)f(2)
g(2) = 2*3
g(2) = 6... hmm that's not an option

Hmmm... i just glanced at the options now... i don't know, as far as i am concerned, if the problem is exactly phrased like this, then i guess they should put this one as an option too. Are u sure that you have written everything correctly?

Johny 5 said:
I stopped at g'(2) = -7 because that would be the slope, m, (you got it too) and i just plugged the given into the point slope formula (x = 2 and y = 3)

Your y coordinate won't be 3, since you are trying to find the slope of the tangent line at x=2 on the graph of g, so your point actually will be (2,g(2)) which is (2, 6). At least this is what you wrote on the problem on the first post.

sutupidmath said:
Hmmm... i just glanced at the options now... i don't know, as far as i am concerned, if the problem is exactly phrased like this, then i guess they should put this one as an option too. Are u sure that you have written everything correctly?

yup the problem is word for word from my worksheet... (i just re-read)

Johny 5 said:
[...] point slope formula (x = 2 and y = 3)

However, this is the formula for f(x) not g(x) no?

Johny 5 said:
yup the problem is word for word from my worksheet... (i just re-read)

HOnestly, it might also be since it is 4 in the morning here, that i am missing sth really obvious there, or i really think that there is some kind of missinterpretation of that problem. Since there is no other way of goin about it, as far as i am concerned. so just add another
option

f)y-6=-7(x-2)

sutupidmath said:
HOnestly, it might also be since it is 4 in the morning here, that i am missing sth really obvious there, or i really think that there is some kind of missinterpretation of that problem. Since there is no other way of goin about it, as far as i am concerned. so just add another
option

f)y-6=-7(x-2)

But that would make three of us reading it incorrectly, and it's not 4am here..

it's for xf(x) (which is g(x)) or at least i thought it was... but you pointed out what i wrote as a function of f(x) is not f(x) its just for f(x) at x=2

Rake-MC said:
But that would make three of us reading it incorrectly, and it's not 4am here..

Well, with this i just wanted to leave a 0.01% chance that i am getting the whole thing wrong. because i am quite sure that the way i did it is the correct one, because it seems a quite straightforward problem.

Johny 5 said:
it's for xf(x) (which is g(x)) or at least i thought it was... but you pointed out what i wrote as a function of f(x) is not f(x) its just for f(x) at x=2

So, are u sayin' now that you want to find the tangent line of f(x) at x=2, or what?

if so then it would be b) y-3 = -5(x-2)

sutupidmath said:
So, are u sayin' now that you want to find the tangent line of f(x) at x=2, or what?

if so then it would be b) y-3 = -5(x-2)

That's what I got too, but I do believe that they want the tangent of g(x) at x=2. For which we can't get a answer that complies with the options

Rake-MC said:
That's what I got too, but I do believe that they want the tangent of g(x) at x=2. For which we can't get a answer that complies with the options

We cannot get an answer that complies withthe options because there is no such answer!

so the answer is y-6 = -7(x-2)?... which isn't an option...

as far as me and sutupidmath can see, yes.

i just graphed the function that we got to be g(x), which is xf(x)
C.y-6 = -5(x-2) was a tangent to the line y=x(-5x+13) at x=2 (2,6)

NOTE: y-6 = -7(x-2) also got the same results at x=2??!? this is the equation that wasn't an option... the other one is but i don't know how to get there

Johny 5 said:
i just graphed the function that we got to be g(x), which is xf(x)
First i don't know how could you graph g(x) when we don't actually know at first place what f(x) is, we could try to figure that out, but still.
Johny 5 said:
C.y-6 = -5(x-2) was a tangent to the line y=x(-5x+13) at x=2 (2,6)
I am completely confused: A tangent to the line :y=x(-5x+13) , where did u get this one from? Or, just don't tell me that your f(x) =-5x+13, and u didn't tell us this from the very begginning?
Johny 5 said:
NOTE: y-6 = -7(x-2) also got the same results at x=2??!? this is the equation that wasn't an option... the other one is but i don't know how to get there

if that's the case then, [tex]g(x)=-5x^2+13x[/tex] so [tex]g'(x)=-10x+13[/tex] so [tex]g'(2)=-7[/tex]

[tex]g(2)=6[/tex] which would give us again exactly the same thing. since

[tex]g-g(2)=-7(x-2)[/tex]

What he has written is incorrect. y=-5x+13 is the equation for the tangent of f(x) ONLY at point x=2 (as far as we know).

[tex] f(2) = 3 [/tex]

[tex] f'(2) = -5 [/tex]

[tex] y = mx + c [/tex]

[tex] 3 = -5(2) + c [/tex]

[tex] c = 13 [/tex]

tangent for f(x) at point x=2 is: [tex] y = -5x +13 [/tex]

I believe he has become confused and thought this is the equation for the function f(x) and worked from there.

Related to What is the Equation for the Tangent Line of g(x) at Point x=2?

1. What is a differentiable function?

A differentiable function is a mathematical function that has a derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function is smooth and has a well-defined slope at every point.

2. How is a differentiable function different from a continuous function?

A differentiable function is a type of continuous function, but not all continuous functions are differentiable. A continuous function is one that has no abrupt changes and can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper. A differentiable function is also continuous, but it has the additional property of having a well-defined slope at every point.

3. What is the importance of differentiable functions in mathematics and science?

Differentiable functions are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to model and understand the behavior of real-world phenomena. They are used in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to describe the relationship between variables and make predictions.

4. How do you determine if a function is differentiable?

A function is differentiable if it has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function must be continuous and have a well-defined slope at every point. To determine if a function is differentiable, you can use the limit definition of the derivative or check if it satisfies the differentiability criteria.

5. Can a function be differentiable at some points and not at others?

Yes, a function can be differentiable at some points and not at others. This means that the function has some points where it has a well-defined derivative, but at other points, the derivative does not exist. For example, a function may be differentiable everywhere except at a discontinuity or a sharp corner.