What is the Energy Calculation for a Bolt of Lightning?

• Thread starter SAT2400
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: Sorry! :(In summary, the energy involved in a lightning is the power of the lightning bolt per time unit. The power of an electrical current is the current times the voltage, and the electrical current is the amount of charge move per time unit.
SAT2400
Energy? Please help! (ToT)

Homework Statement

A bolt of lightning corresponding to about 20C descends through a potential difference of upwards of 150MV. How much energy is involved? Incidently, at anyone time there might be 2000 thunderstorms rolling over the Earth with 100 lightning bolts flashing every second!

Homework Equations

change in V= PE/q

The Attempt at a Solution

I know MV is 1000000V...but I have no idea how to solve this question...T_T please help ASAP..
Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org

It has been a long time that I did problems like that. So I'll give it a shot, which might not be the same as what you have learned in school:

The energy involved is the power of the lightning bolt per time unit.
The power of an electrical current is the current times the voltage.
The electrical current is the amount of charge displace per time unit.
Put all of that into an equation and you should have a pretty simple answer.

Cheers

umm...okay...but I still don't know what to do?? T_T

Can you please explain more in detail?!T_T

I don't know the electrical current...etc...T_T

Please help! Thank you soo much!

The energy involved is the power of the lightning bolt per time unit: [tex]P = \frac{\Delta E}{\Delta t}[/tex]
The power of an electrical current is the current times the voltage: [tex]P = V \cdot I[/tex]
The electrical current is the amount of charge displace per time unit: [tex]I = \frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t}[/tex]

Can't really go any further, without giving the numerical answer. Cheers

The answer is 3000000000J(= 3x10^9)

I seriously don't know how to get this answer??! T_T how do I get current and time..?!?

Please help me again! Thank you very mucH!

The answer seems correct.

You have only two data in your problem. Try multiplying them together, and it will give you that number.

Cheers

oh...so just 150MV x 20C??

but,,I don't get why I multiply V by C??!

Could you explain!? Thanks!:)

I'll try my best.

The power is defined as the energy involved per time unit: [tex]P = \frac{\Delta E}{\Delta t}[/tex]

The power of an electrical discharge is given by: [tex]P = V \cdot I[/tex]

It is the same power in the two equations, therefore: [tex]\frac{\Delta E}{\Delta t} = P = V \cdot I[/tex]

But since the electrical current is defined as the discharge per time unit: [tex]I = \frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\Delta E}{\Delta t} = V \cdot \frac{\Delta Q}{\Delta t}[/tex]
[tex]\Delta E = V \cdot \Delta Q[/tex]

Cheers

THANK YOU!

BTW...CHANGE IN Q is DISCHARGE??not CHARGE??

What do you mean by discharge??

hmm...
Equations like these (Q= Qmax e^(-t/RC), I =Imax e^(-t/RC)...etc.. show the DISCHARGE.. Right?
Can you explain these formulas?? Discharge means what??

A discharge is defined by moving charges, e.g. lightning discharge is an amount of charge that is transported between the ground and the clouds.

Cheers

Discharge is moving charge?!?

Then,,what about the charge??

What's the difference btwn Discharge and Charge?!?

Q= Qmax e^(-t/RC), I =Imax e^(-t/RC)... For Discharge

Q=Qmax(1-e^-t/RC), I =Imax (1-e^(-t/RC)...For Charge

Could you please tell me the difference?!?Thank you!

No. A discharge is not moving charge. It is just a term used to say that charges are conveyed in a lightning. The dictionary also states that discharges is the release of electrical energy. Precisely what we are talking about here.

For the rest of your question, I don't remember the precise meaning of the equations you are presenting. From what I can see, they could be applied in an RC circuit.

Here I am talking about definition only.
1. power is defined as the amount of energy per time unit
2. the current is defined as the amount of charge moved per time unit.
3. the power of an electrical current is given by the product of the voltage and current.

Hope this clarifies a bit of your problem. Otherwise, I can only suggest that you drop by to your teachers office, and asked for more information. I am sure that he/she will be glad to help you out with this issue.

Cheers

SAT2400 said:
Q= Qmax e^(-t/RC), I =Imax e^(-t/RC)... For Discharge

Q=Qmax(1-e^-t/RC), I =Imax (1-e^(-t/RC)...For Charge
Those do indeed apply only to an RC circuit. In that context - and that context only - "discharging" refers to a situation in which the capacitor is losing charge, and "charging" refers to a situation in which the capacitor is gaining charge.

Those equations have nothing at all to do with lightning.

Thank you very much!

Could you please answer my other questions!?(in other threads!?)

I'm waiting for answers b/c I have a test tomorrow T_T;;

Related to What is the Energy Calculation for a Bolt of Lightning?

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is present in everything around us and can take different forms, such as heat, light, or motion.

2. What are the different types of energy?

There are several types of energy, including kinetic energy (energy of motion), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), electrical energy, chemical energy, nuclear energy, and electromagnetic energy (light).

3. How is energy produced?

Energy can be produced in various ways, such as burning fossil fuels, harnessing wind or solar power, or using nuclear reactions. The process of producing energy often involves converting one form of energy into another.

4. What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

5. How is energy measured?

Energy is typically measured in joules (J) or calories (cal). Other units of measurement, such as watt-hours (Wh) or kilowatt-hours (kWh), are commonly used to measure the amount of energy consumed or produced over a period of time.