What is the efficiency of the circuit?

In summary, when simplifying a circuit with a Thevenin equivalent, the details of the original components are lost. The current for the circuit can be found using the equation I = Eth / (R + Rth) and the efficiency can be calculated using the formula η = (I^2R) / (I^2(R + Rth)). Although the answer provided for the problem may seem wrong, it is actually correct as the efficiency of the circuit depends on how the various electromotive voltages are utilized. To retain the details of the sources and their internal resistances, the original circuit must be analyzed as-is. Another method to solve this problem is to convert the batteries and internal resistances into their respective Norton equivalents.
Baiatul122001
Homework Statement
Two electromotive voltage sources E1 and E2 are connected in parallel, and the internal resistors r1 and r2, and at the terminals of the circuit, a resistor R is connected. Is the efficiency of the circuit?
Relevant Equations
E=(E1/r1+E2/r2)/(1/r1+1/r2)=(E1r2+E2r1)/(r1+r2)

1/r=1/r1+1/r2=(r1+r2)/r1r2=>r=r1r2/(r1+r2)

I=E/(R+r)=[(E1r2+E2r1)/(r1+r2)]/[R+r1r2/(r1+r2)]=(E1r2+E2r1)/[R(r1+r2)+r1r2]

P=RI^2=R(E1r2+E2r1)^2/[R(r1+r2)+r1r2]^2

P'=EI=(E1r2+E2r1)/(r1+r2)*(E1r2+E2r1)/[R(r1+r2)+r1r2]=(E1r2+E2r1)^2/[R(r1+r2)^2+r1r2(r1+r2)]

η=P/P'={R(E1r2+E2r1)^2/[R(r1+r2)+r1r2]^2}/{(E1r2+E2r1)^2/[R(r1+r2)^2+r1r2(r1+r2)]}=R[R(r1+r2)+r1r2(r1+r2)]/[R(r1+r2)+r1r2]^2

η=R[R(r1+r2)+r1r2(r1+r2)]/[R(r1+r2)+r1r2]^2

It does not come out as the final answer
The answer in the textbook's
Capture.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you simplify a circuit with a Thevenin equivalent, you "lose" the details of what happens to the original components that were simplified away.

Consider a typical Thevenin equivalent with a load ##R##:

1578248136472.png

The current for this circuit is simply ##I = \frac{E_{th}}{R + R_{th}}##

The power in the load: ##P = I^2 R##
Total power: ##P' = I^2 (R + R_{th})##

So the efficiency is ##\eta = \frac{I^2 R}{I^2(R + R_{th})}##

As you can see, the ##I^2##'s cancel and you're left without anything that accounts for the details of the original voltage sources.

You'll have to analyze the original circuit as-is if you want to retain the details of the sources and their internal resistances.

Likes berkeman and etotheipi
But the efficiency of the circuit does not depend on the electromotive voltage, is the answer wrong?

The answer given for the problem is not wrong. The efficiency, as determined by power delivered to the load compared to the total power consumed by the whole circuit, does depend on how the various EMF's are utilized.

Consider: Suppose that there happened to be a voltage source "inside" the portion of the circuit that you took the Thevenin equivalent that did nothing but push current through a localized resistor, contributing nothing to the load. It would be "burning" power inefficiently, but would have to be taken into consideration non the less.

Easiest way is to change the two batteries plus internal resistaces to their respective Norton equivalents. A real piece of cake that way.

(I suppose "efficiency" means what gneill says in post 4.)

Related to What is the efficiency of the circuit?

1. What is the definition of efficiency in a circuit?

The efficiency of a circuit is a measure of how well it converts electrical energy into useful output, such as light, heat, or mechanical motion. It is expressed as a percentage and is calculated by dividing the output power by the input power.

2. How is the efficiency of a circuit calculated?

The efficiency of a circuit is calculated by dividing the output power by the input power and multiplying by 100 to get a percentage. The output power is typically measured in watts and the input power is measured in watts or volts.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of a circuit?

The efficiency of a circuit can be affected by various factors, such as the type and quality of components used, the design and layout of the circuit, and external factors like temperature and voltage fluctuations. Resistance, capacitance, and inductance can also impact the efficiency of a circuit.

4. Why is it important to measure the efficiency of a circuit?

Measuring the efficiency of a circuit is important because it allows us to determine how much of the input energy is being converted into useful output. A low efficiency could indicate issues with the components or design of the circuit, which can be improved for better performance.

5. How can the efficiency of a circuit be improved?

The efficiency of a circuit can be improved by using high-quality components, optimizing the design and layout, and reducing any external factors that may affect it. Choosing components with lower resistance, capacitance, and inductance can also improve the efficiency of a circuit.