What is the efficency of internal combustion engine?

In summary, the efficiency of an internal combustion engine depends on various factors such as the type of engine, fuel used, and compression ratio. For a car engine using air as an oxidizer, the average theoretical efficiency is around 0.573. The actual efficiency can vary depending on the compression ratio, with a formula to calculate it provided for the Otto Cycle.
Aayam
just how effecient is the internal combustion engine. please tell me(any/all you know/ or can find online), efficency of an average engine, best achieved ever effecincey(ideal scenario), and the maximum theoritical efficency.. i am talking about energy put in vs the amount that is useable.(by this i mean exclude heat lost, etc, just give me the energy that is outputted that a veihcle can use.), I am looking for just the idea of engine, car, plane, etc doesn't matter. thanks :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends, however to answer your question as directly as possible I will assume you mean a car engine, spark-ignited and one that uses air as an oxidizer. Typical compression ratios (air is compressed in the engine prior to explosion) range from about 7-10, so with air the average theoretical efficiency (Otto Cycle thermal efficiency) becomes,
[tex] \eta_{\text{th}} \approx 0.573 [/tex]
If you want to compute the thermal efficiency using your own compression ratio, use this formula. It applies to the Otto Cycle,
[tex] \eta_{\text{th}} = 1 - \frac{1}{r^{k-1}} [/tex]
where [itex]r[/itex] stands for compression ratio and [itex]k[/itex] is the specific heat ratio of the working fluid. For air, it's about [itex]k=1.4[/itex].

Related to What is the efficency of internal combustion engine?

1. What is the efficiency of an internal combustion engine?

The efficiency of an internal combustion engine is the ratio of the energy output (mechanical work) to the energy input (fuel). It is usually expressed as a percentage, with modern gasoline engines having an efficiency of around 20-30%.

2. How is the efficiency of an internal combustion engine calculated?

The efficiency of an internal combustion engine is calculated by dividing the energy output (mechanical work) by the energy input (fuel) and multiplying by 100. This calculation takes into account factors such as heat loss, friction, and incomplete combustion.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of an internal combustion engine?

The efficiency of an internal combustion engine can be affected by several factors, including the type of fuel used, the design and size of the engine, the operating temperature, and the quality of maintenance.

4. How does the efficiency of an internal combustion engine compare to other types of engines?

Compared to other types of engines, such as electric motors or steam engines, internal combustion engines have a relatively low efficiency. However, they are still widely used due to their convenience, affordability, and ability to produce high power output.

5. Can the efficiency of an internal combustion engine be improved?

Yes, the efficiency of an internal combustion engine can be improved through various methods, such as improving the design and materials used, implementing new technologies, and optimizing the combustion process. However, reaching 100% efficiency is not possible due to the laws of thermodynamics.