What is the distance between the motion sensor and the cart

In summary: The temperature in the lab has increased by = 6.11°C, but students did not noticed that change and they were using the sound velocity value for 20°C (343 m/s). The result of the measurements was incorrect. What is the apparent distance for the increased temperature? Assuming that the temperature change was exactly 6.11°C, then the apparent distance would be 3.05500 m.
Mr. Goosemahn

Homework Statement

a.) The ultrasonic motion sensor sends pulses of the ultrasound toward a cart on the low-friction track and determines the distance by the time an echo takes to return. The temperature in the lab is equal to 20 °C. What is the distance between the motion sensor and the cart, if the reflected echo was recorded after 4.17 ms (1 ms = 0.001 s)?

b.) The velocity of sound in air is a function of temperature and increases by 0.6 m/s for every degree Celsius (°C) of temperature increase. The temperature in the lab has increased by = 6.11°C, but students did not noticed that change and they were using the sound velocity value for 20°C (343 m/s). The result of the measurements was incorrect. What is the apparent distance for the increased temperature?

Homework Equations

D=(v*t)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first answer right, getting 0.715781. I tried using the same equation for the second question, but got nothing. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr. Goosemahn said:

Homework Statement

a.) The ultrasonic motion sensor sends pulses of the ultrasound toward a cart on the low-friction track and determines the distance by the time an echo takes to return. The temperature in the lab is equal to 20 °C. What is the distance between the motion sensor and the cart, if the reflected echo was recorded after 4.17 ms (1 ms = 0.001 s)?

b.) The velocity of sound in air is a function of temperature and increases by 0.6 m/s for every degree Celsius (°C) of temperature increase. The temperature in the lab has increased by = 6.11°C, but students did not noticed that change and they were using the sound velocity value for 20°C (343 m/s). The result of the measurements was incorrect. What is the apparent distance for the increased temperature?

Homework Equations

D=(v*t)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first answer right, getting 0.715781. I tried using the same equation for the second question, but got nothing. Help?

Please post the details of your work; we will look for errors. Thanks.

For the first one, I plugged in the velocity (343.3), and the time (4.17 ms, which turns to 0.00417 seconds) and carried out the formula.

D = (343.3*0.00417)/2 = 0.7157805

For the second one, I tried using the same equation and I plugged in 0.6 for V and 26.11 for time, but I got an incorrect answer.

D = (0.6*(6.11/0.6))/2 = 3.05500.

I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong regarding the time, but I could be doing everything wrong, quite honestly. I don't know what is the correct equation for this, but that's how I tried solving it.

You cannot simply close your eyes and plug numbers into formulas.
Use the numbers given for the temperature change to compute the correct speed of sound for the lab temperaure. Then use the corrected speed of sound in the given equation.

Related to What is the distance between the motion sensor and the cart

1. What is the purpose of measuring the distance between the motion sensor and the cart?

The distance between the motion sensor and the cart is measured in order to accurately calculate the speed, acceleration, and other motion-related parameters of the cart. This information is essential for understanding the dynamics of the cart's movement and can help in conducting various experiments and analyzing data.

2. How is the distance between the motion sensor and the cart measured?

The distance between the motion sensor and the cart can be measured using a ruler, measuring tape, or a laser distance meter. The chosen method will depend on the accuracy and precision required for the experiment. It is important to ensure that the measurement is taken from the center of the motion sensor to the center of the cart.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the distance measurement?

The accuracy of the distance measurement can be affected by various factors such as parallax error, temperature, and humidity. Parallax error can occur when the observer's eye is not directly in line with the measurement tool, resulting in an inaccurate reading. Temperature and humidity can also cause slight variations in the distance measurement, so it is important to take these factors into consideration.

4. How far should the motion sensor be placed from the cart?

The distance between the motion sensor and the cart will depend on the experiment being conducted. In general, the motion sensor should be placed at a distance where it can accurately track the motion of the cart without being obstructed by any objects. It is recommended to start with a distance of 1 meter and make adjustments as needed.

5. Can the distance between the motion sensor and the cart be changed during an experiment?

Ideally, the distance between the motion sensor and the cart should remain constant throughout an experiment to ensure consistent and accurate data. However, in some cases, the distance may need to be adjusted to capture different ranges of motion or to avoid any potential collisions. If the distance is changed, it is important to note and record this change in the data for future analysis.