Uniform Circular Motion - distance

In summary, an object with mass 2 kg is moving in a uniform circular motion with radius 2 m. It takes π seconds for the object to travel from θ = 0 to θ = 180 degrees. The distance traveled by the object in 20 seconds can be calculated using the formula s = vt, where s is the distance, v is the speed, and t is the time interval. Since the object travels πr meters in π seconds, the speed can be calculated as v = πr/π = r. Therefore, in 20 seconds, the object would travel a distance of s = vt = (r)(20) = 2r.
AlexanderIV

Homework Statement

An object with mass m = 2 kg is moving in a uniform circular motion with radius r = 2m as shown in the figure. It takes π seconds for the object to travel from θ =0 to θ = 180 degrees. What is the distance traveled by the object in 20 s?
9200227h.png

http://prikachi.com/images.php?images/227/9200227h.png

Homework Equations

s = rq (?)
C = 2πr

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that since the distance from 0 to 180 degrees is taken for π seconds, this means the distance would be C= (2πr)/2 since 180 degrees is a half circle. Which means C = (2π2) / 2 = 2π

Then I do the following evaluation:
2π / 20 = π / 4π

I am not sure how to solve this. I feel like I am approaching the problem in a wrong way. In my attempted solution I do not use the mass at all, but it is given, therefore it should be relevant, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alexander IV and welcome to PF.
:welcome:

The distance s traveled by any object moving at constant speed v (the case here) during time interval t is given by s = vt. You are given enough information.
1. it travels distance πr meters in π seconds. find v.
2. Knowing v from the previous step, find how far it travels in 20 seconds.

The mass is irrelevant. The object could be a bug flying in a circle or a train on a track.

kuruman said:
Hi Alexander IV and welcome to PF.
:welcome:

The distance s traveled by any object moving at constant speed v (the case here) during time interval t is given by s = vt. You are given enough information.
1. it travels distance πr meters in π seconds. find v.
2. Knowing v from the previous step, find how far it travels in 20 seconds.

The mass is irrelevant. The object could be a bug flying in a circle or a train on a track.
I solved it! Thank you!

1. What is the definition of uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed.

2. How is the distance traveled in uniform circular motion calculated?

The distance traveled in uniform circular motion can be calculated using the formula, distance = radius x angle (in radians). This formula takes into account the radius of the circular path and the angle through which the object has traveled.

3. Does the speed of an object in uniform circular motion change?

No, the speed of an object in uniform circular motion remains constant. This is because the object is traveling at a constant speed along the circular path, covering equal distances in equal amounts of time.

4. What is the relationship between period and distance in uniform circular motion?

The period of an object in uniform circular motion is the time it takes to complete one full revolution around the circular path. The distance traveled in one period is equal to the circumference of the circle, which is given by 2πr, where r is the radius of the circle.

5. Can an object in uniform circular motion have a constant speed but changing velocity?

Yes, an object in uniform circular motion can have a constant speed but changing velocity. This is because velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both the speed and direction of motion. In uniform circular motion, the direction of motion is constantly changing, thus resulting in a changing velocity.