What is the displacement of the car from the point of origin?

In summary, the car is driven a total distance of 300 km at an angle of 45 degrees southwest from the point of origin. The angle of 45 degrees is a convention when mentioning southwest and other similar directions. The use of a compass can help determine the direction and angle of displacement.
ace123
A car is driven 215 km west and then 85 km southwest. What is the displacement of the car from the point of origin?

Shouldn't I be given an angle. Because it could be southwest at any angle. How would I do this?

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Southwest usually means 45 degrees towards south, from west or vice-versa.

Really? Okay let me try that. But why would I be expected to know that? That's just stupid.

Well it worked. Thanks

Take a look at a compass and see why ;)

Don't own a compass

It's just convention when mentioning southwest that the angle is 45 degrees. It is also true when saying southeast, northeast, northwest.

180px-Kompas_Sofia.JPG

lol thanks for providing a compass. But I've gotten this problem ages ago.

Related to What is the displacement of the car from the point of origin?

1. What is a vector addition car problem?

A vector addition car problem is a physics problem that involves determining the resulting vector when two or more cars are moving at different velocities in different directions.

2. How do you solve a vector addition car problem?

To solve a vector addition car problem, you need to break down the velocities of each car into their x and y components, using trigonometry. Then, add the respective x and y components together to find the resultant velocity.

3. What is the difference between vector addition and scalar addition in the context of car problems?

Vector addition involves adding both the magnitude and direction of two or more vectors, while scalar addition only involves adding the magnitudes. In car problems, vector addition is used to determine the resulting velocity and direction of the cars, while scalar addition is used to determine the total distance traveled.

4. Can you use vector addition to solve a car problem with more than two cars?

Yes, vector addition can be used to solve car problems with any number of cars. The process remains the same, where you break down the velocities into their components and add them together to find the resultant velocity.

5. How is the direction of the resultant velocity determined in a vector addition car problem?

The direction of the resultant velocity is determined by finding the angle of the resultant vector using trigonometry. This angle represents the direction that the cars will move after their velocities are added together.