Vector Addition. Where did I go wrong?

In summary, the problem involves a car traveling 225 km west and then 98 km southwest at a 45 degree angle. Using vector addition and Pythagorean Theorem, the displacement of the car is found to be 302 km, at an angle of 32 degrees south of west. The initial attempt at solving the problem made some calculation errors, but the correct solution can be found by breaking down the vectors into horizontal and vertical components and adding them together before calculating the magnitude and direction.
Scorry

Homework Statement

A car is driven 225 km west and then 98 km southwest (45 degrees). What is the displacement of the car from the point (magnitude and direction)? Draw a diagram.

Homework Equations

Vectors have magnitude and direction.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is attached. This a homework problem. My textbook only has the answer as : 302 km, 32° south of west. What am I doing wrong ?

Attachments

• Vector Problem number 1.pdf
    596.3 KB · Views: 2,691
Physics news on Phys.org
In calculating ##D_R## you did ##(156^2-69^2)## instead of ##(156^2+(-69)^2)##

Thanks for the response. In my Ti 89 that gives me a magnitude of 170.578 Km. Did you get 302 km?

Scorry said:
Thanks for the response. In my Ti 89 that gives me a magnitude of 170.578 Km. Did you get 302 km?
The 156 is also incorrect.

45° is not consistent with 180°.

By the way: Welcome to PF !

The sign of D1x is wrong. From the diagram, you can see that if is -225.

Chet

You can make it a lot easier on yourself by leaving the trig until the very last step when you work out the direction of the resulting vector. All the rest can be done by Pythagoras Theorem. Work out the vert and horizontal components of the 98km vector as each ##\frac{98km}{\sqrt{2}}##, then add each to the vert and horiz components of the 225km vector. Then use Pythag to calc the length of that resulting vector from its V and H components. The direction is then calculated as ##\arctan\frac{vertical\ compt}{horiz\ component}##. You may need to add or subtract that from 180 degrees, but it will be obvious from the diagram what you need to do, once you've got the angle.

Related to Vector Addition. Where did I go wrong?

1. What is vector addition?

Vector addition is a mathematical operation that combines two or more vectors to form a new vector. It involves adding the corresponding components of the vectors to obtain the components of the resultant vector.

2. How do I perform vector addition?

To perform vector addition, you need to first determine the direction and magnitude of each vector. Then, add the corresponding components of the vectors to obtain the components of the resultant vector. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of the resultant vector and use trigonometric functions to determine its direction.

3. What are the properties of vector addition?

The properties of vector addition include commutativity, where changing the order of the vectors being added does not affect the result, and associativity, where the grouping of vectors being added does not affect the result. Additionally, vector addition follows the parallelogram law, where the resultant vector can be determined by constructing a parallelogram with the given vectors as adjacent sides.

4. Can vector addition result in a vector with a magnitude of zero?

Yes, vector addition can result in a vector with a magnitude of zero if the components of the vectors being added are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. This is known as the zero vector or null vector.

5. Where are common mistakes made when performing vector addition?

Common mistakes when performing vector addition include forgetting to include the direction of the vectors, using incorrect units, and not considering the order in which the vectors are added. It is important to pay attention to both direction and magnitude when performing vector addition and to be consistent with units.