What is the Differentiation Challenge?

In summary, the conversation is about a proposed "snack challenge" related to finding a derivative in different forms. The participants discuss the level of difficulty and encourage each other to participate and share solutions.
Theia
Let's have a snack challenge for a while. ^^

Let \(\displaystyle x\) and \(\displaystyle y\) be real numbers (with restrictions \(\displaystyle y \ne 0, \ y \ne -x\)) and \(\displaystyle \frac{x - y}{x + y} = \frac{x + y}{y}\).

Find \(\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x}\) in whatever form you like most. I mean, for example forms \(\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = f(x, y)\) or \(\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}x} = g(x)\) are equally good at this time.

Please remember to use spoiler tags when you run to post the answer! :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How is this a "challenge"?

Once you have multiplied on both sides by y(x+ y), it is a straight forward Calculus I "implicit differentiation".

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
How is this a "challenge"?

Once you have multiplied on both sides by y(x+ y), it is a straight forward Calculus I "implicit differentiation".

I said this is 'a snack', not 'an afwully complicated thing you need to think about seven years'...
Anyway, then you can show me your answer, right? ^^

Theia said:
I said this is 'a snack', not 'an afwully complicated thing you need to think about seven years'...
Anyway, then you can show me your answer, right? ^^

We appreciate challenge problems of virtually any level of difficulty. My advice to everyone is that if you find a posted problem "too easy" to solve, then leave it for those who will be challenged by it and enjoy posting a solution. :D

My solution:
$\d y x = \text{Undefined}$

Yummy snack! ;)

I like Serena said:
My solution:
$\d y x = \text{Undefined}$

Yummy snack! ;)

That's right! Can you give a short explanation too, please? :D

Theia said:
That's right! Can you give a short explanation too, please? :D

Sure! (Bandit)

$x$ and $y$ are given to be real numbers with $y\ne 0$ and $y\ne x$.

We have:
$$\frac{x-y}{x+y}=\frac {x+y}{y} \quad\Rightarrow\quad
(x-y)y=(x+y)^2 \quad\Rightarrow\quad
2y^2+xy+x^2=0 \quad\Rightarrow\quad
y = \frac 14 (-x\pm \sqrt{x^2 - 8x^2}) =\frac 14 x(-1\pm i\sqrt 7)
$$
Since $y\ne 0$, there are no real numbers $x,y$ that satisfy the equation.

Therefore $\d y x$ is not defined anywhere. (Cake)

Well done! Thank you! ^^

And now, I'd think I try to be more careful when it comes to 'implicit differentiation'... :D

Related to What is the Differentiation Challenge?

1. What is a differentiation challenge?

A differentiation challenge is a problem or task that requires an individual or group to come up with unique and creative solutions. It often involves thinking outside the box and finding new ways to approach a problem.

2. Why is differentiation important in scientific research?

Differentiation is important in scientific research because it allows for the exploration of different perspectives and ideas. It can lead to new discoveries and breakthroughs in understanding complex problems.

3. How can I improve my differentiation skills?

To improve your differentiation skills, you can practice brainstorming techniques, engage in activities that promote creativity, and actively seek out diverse perspectives and ideas.

4. What are some common challenges in differentiation?

Some common challenges in differentiation include limited resources or time, resistance to change, and difficulty in finding new and innovative ideas.

5. How can differentiation be applied in real-world situations?

Differentiation can be applied in real-world situations in various fields such as business, education, and healthcare. It can be used to solve complex problems, improve decision-making processes, and foster innovation and growth.