What is the difference between Surface and Flux Integrals?

In summary, the conversation is about using the divergence theorem to find the flux of a given vector field through a closed surface. Part A has been solved but Part B requires calculating the flux through two different surfaces. The difference between surface and flux integrals is also discussed.
andrec
Hi, so this is my first time on this forum and I've just gotten very frustrated with trying to understand this one problem. I got part A by using divergence theorem but I don't know how go about computing part B.

Suppose F⃗ (x,y,z)=⟨x,y,5z⟩. Let W be the solid bounded by the paraboloid z=x2+y2 and the plane z=4. Let S be the closed boundary of W oriented outward.

(a) Use the divergence theorem to find the flux of F⃗ through S.
s F⃗ ⋅dA⃗ = 56pi

(b) Find the flux of F⃗ out the bottom of S (the truncated paraboloid) and the top of S (the disk).
Flux out the bottom =
Flux out the top =

Thanks for your help.

BTW, side question. What exactly is the difference in the Surface and Flux integral.

Physics news on Phys.org
The flux integral is over a closed surface, so you can invoke the Divergence Theorem. For part b, you need to consider open surfaces (on which the divergence theorem no longer applies). You're going to have to figure out the normal vectors to the surfaces and actually do these 2d integrals by hand, so to speak.

andrec said:
Hi, so this is my first time on this forum and I've just gotten very frustrated with trying to understand this one problem. I got part A by using divergence theorem but I don't know how go about computing part B.

Suppose F⃗ (x,y,z)=⟨x,y,5z⟩. Let W be the solid bounded by the paraboloid z=x2+y2 and the plane z=4. Let S be the closed boundary of W oriented outward.

(a) Use the divergence theorem to find the flux of F⃗ through S.
s F⃗ ⋅dA⃗ = 56pi

(b) Find the flux of F⃗ out the bottom of S (the truncated paraboloid) and the top of S (the disk).
Flux out the bottom =
Flux out the top =

Thanks for your help.

BTW, side question. What exactly is the difference in the Surface and Flux integral.
Hello andrec. Welcome to PF !

For (b), it's much easier to calculate the flux through the top surface, z=4. Use that and the result for part (a) to get the flux through bottom surface, z=x2+y2 .

Related to What is the difference between Surface and Flux Integrals?

1. What is a flux integral?

A flux integral is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to calculate the flow of a vector field through a surface. It involves integrating the dot product of the vector field and the surface normal over the surface.

2. What is the significance of computing a flux integral?

Computing a flux integral allows us to determine the rate at which a vector quantity, such as fluid flow or electromagnetic field, passes through a given surface. This is important in understanding the behavior of these fields and in solving real-world problems.

3. How is a flux integral calculated?

A flux integral is calculated by first defining a surface, usually in terms of its parametric equations, and then integrating the dot product of the vector field and the surface normal over the surface. This involves breaking the surface into small pieces and summing up the contributions from each piece.

4. What are some applications of computing flux integrals?

Flux integrals are used in a variety of fields, including fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. They are used to calculate the flow of fluids through pipes or channels, the electric or magnetic fields around a charged object, and the heat transfer through a surface, among others.

5. Are there any limitations to computing flux integrals?

One limitation of computing flux integrals is that they can be difficult to calculate for complex surfaces or vector fields. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the integral. Additionally, flux integrals may not be applicable in certain situations, such as when the vector field is not well-behaved or when the surface is not closed.