What is the Difference Between Partial Derivatives and Ordinary Derivatives?

In summary, the author is trying to solve a homework equation that was converted from polar to Cartesian coordinates but got stuck on a partial derivative of all things. They typed in what they had so far and realized that the term wasn't zero, so they went back and solved the equation correctly.
erok81

Homework Statement

I am working on some PDE's where we are doing Laplacian's in various coordinate systems and got stuck on a partial derivative of all things. It's been a while and it seems I have forgotten how to do them.

Homework Equations

I have the equation

[tex]u(x,y)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{x^2 +y^2}}[/tex]

Which I converted to polar coordinates and ended up with

[tex]u(r,\theta )= \frac{1}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to compute the following:

[tex]\frac{\partial ^{2} u}{\partial r^{2}}[/tex] (1)

[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}[/tex] (2)

[tex]\frac{\partial ^{2} u}{\partial \theta^{2}}[/tex] (3)

Here is what I have so far...

(1) 2r-3
(2) -r-2
(3) 0

I think I have (3) wrong. If they were normal derivatives, I wouldn't have an issue.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since u(r, [itex]\theta[/itex]) doesn't depend on [itex]\theta[/itex], the partials with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex] are all zero.

For 2, the sign in your exponent is wrong. You probably just neglected to put it in since your second partial is right.

Yeah, that was a typing error on my part.

Thanks for the help.

I was confused because if the term wasn't zero, I might have been able to satisfy another part of the problem.

Plus there was an example in the book that did this.

Starting with r2=x2+y2 they differentiated with respect to x. Now if would have been me I would have gotten 0=2x+0 instead the book got:

[tex]2r \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=2x[/tex]

So even though r2 doesn't depend on x, they still got a non-zero answer.

Does that make sense?

hi erok81! :smile:
erok81 said:
So even though r2 doesn't depend on x, they still got a non-zero answer.

Does that make sense?

nooo :redface:

r does depend on x … r2 = x2 + y2

Why doesn't the y get any derivative then? I see what you mean with the r. I actually had the typed out originally, but decided against it. They are starting to come back to me at least. :)

So I guess why isn't the answer

[tex]
2r \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=2x + 2y \frac{\partial y}{\partial x}
[/tex]

Actually I think I see why and my entire confusion. They didn't state what derivative they were taking, just the result. Since they were taking the derivative of r with respect to x, that is why nothing happened with the y...I think?

Yes. In the equation r2 = x2 + y2, r2 is a function of both x and y, but x and y are independent of each other. IOW, dy/dx = 0 and dx/dy = 0. In the equation you asked about, they differentiated
with respect to x on both sides. On the left, because of the chain rule, they ended up with a factor of [tex]\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}[/tex]

erok81 said:
Since they were taking the derivative of r with respect to x, that is why nothing happened with the y...I think?

the partial derivative ∂/∂x means differentiating wrt the variable x while keeping the other variables constant

that means that implicit (ie not stated) in the definition is the understanding of what the other variables are

eg if you have a two-dimensional function F, you could use ordinary x and y coordinates, or you could use x and (x+y) coordinates …

in the first case, ∂F/dx would be keeping y fixed, ie going parallel to the x-axis

in the second case, ∂F/dx would be keeping x+y fixed, ie going at 45° to the x-axis :wink:

Related to What is the Difference Between Partial Derivatives and Ordinary Derivatives?

What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. It is commonly used in multivariate calculus and is denoted by ∂ (the partial derivative symbol).

Why are partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze how changes in one variable affect the overall behavior of a function. They are particularly useful in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering, where many complex systems involve multiple variables.

How do you calculate a partial derivative?

To calculate a partial derivative, you use the same rules as you would for a regular derivative, with the exception that you only differentiate with respect to one variable while treating all other variables as constants. You can also use the partial derivative symbol (∂) to represent the variable you are differentiating with respect to.

What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant, whereas a total derivative measures the overall rate of change of a function with respect to all its variables. In other words, a total derivative takes into account the interaction between all the variables, while a partial derivative only considers one variable at a time.

Can you give an example of a real-world application of partial derivatives?

One example of a real-world application of partial derivatives is in economics, specifically in the field of marginal analysis. Marginal analysis uses partial derivatives to determine the optimal level of production for a company by analyzing the change in cost and revenue as production levels change. This can help a company make strategic decisions to maximize profits.