What is the derivative of y=e^square root of 1+tan(sinx)?

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties with the chain rule and finding the derivative of a given function. The attempt at a solution includes using the chain rule and identifying a mistake in taking the derivative of the square root. The conversation ends with a reminder to take the chain rule in reverse order.
susan__t
Chain rule difficulties, due tomorrow!

Homework Statement

Find the derivative of

y=e^square root of 1+tan(sinx)

Homework Equations

chain rule: F'(x)=f'(g(x)) * g'(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I had it and then while I was looking at other chain rules and started doubting my actual ability to sort out the chain rule...

y=e^square root of 1+tan(sinx)

y'=e^square root of 1+tan(sinx) *(1+tansinx)'

y'=e^square root of 1+tan(sinx)* (0 +sec2sinx +cosx)

Please help! My assignment is due tomorrow and I know there is something not quite right but I don't know why.

Physics news on Phys.org

how would you evaluate these operations if you wanted to get a number out of them? Remember to take the chain rule in reverse of this order. For example, [tex]\frac{d[(x^{4})^3]}{dx} = 3(x^{4})^{2}*4x^{3}dx[/tex]

ok LaTeX appears to be acting up. Basically you forgot to take the derivative of the square root *before* finding the derivative of what was inside it.

yikes I should probably work on my recopying skills. thank you very much!

Related to What is the derivative of y=e^square root of 1+tan(sinx)?

What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a mathematical rule used in calculus to find the derivative of a composite function. It allows us to take the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

Why is the chain rule difficult?

The chain rule can be difficult because it involves multiple steps and can be confusing to understand at first. It also requires a solid understanding of basic derivatives and function composition.

How do I know when to use the chain rule?

You should use the chain rule whenever you have a composite function, meaning a function within a function. For example, if you have f(g(x)), you will need to use the chain rule to find the derivative.

What are some common mistakes when using the chain rule?

Some common mistakes when using the chain rule include forgetting to multiply by the derivative of the inner function, mixing up the order of the functions, and not being familiar with basic derivatives.

How can I practice and improve my understanding of the chain rule?

You can practice the chain rule by solving various problems and checking your work. You can also watch tutorial videos, attend lectures or tutoring sessions, and ask for help from a math teacher or tutor.