What is the derivative of y=1/xlnx?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of y=1/xlnx and determining when the gradient equals 0. After some initial confusion about the correct rule to use, the correct derivative is found to be dy/dx=1-lnx/(x^2lnx^2). To find when the gradient equals 0, it is found that x=e.
xllx

Homework Statement

Find dy/dx of y=1/xlnx

Homework Equations

I thought that I'd have to use the quotient rule:
y'=vu'-uv'/v^2

However the differential of 1 is 0, so is this the right rule to use?

The Attempt at a Solution

u=1
u'=0

v=xlnx
v'=1/x

y'=vu'-uv'/v^2
y'=(xlnx*0)-(1*1/x)/(xlnx)^2
y'=-1/x(xlnx)^2
y'= -1/x^3lnx^2

But this doesn't seem right to me, I'm not sure. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
v=xlnx
v'=1/x

Really? I thought 1/x was the derivative of lnx, not xlnx.

Yes sorry just realized that..
I redid it and got dy/dx=1-lnx/(x^2lnx^2), which sounds a more accurate answer and think I have done it right this time.

Is is possible to just extend this question though:
If I was to find when the gradient equals 0, I've got 0=1-lnx so 1=lnx, but how would I solve this?

Thankyou

e to the what equals 1?

Does lne=1??
But I don't know how that solves this, does that mean x=e?

Yes, ln(e)=1.

I kindve messed up my hint there and ended up inadvertantly giving answer instead. (e^0 is 1, but that's not relevant here.)

Remember ln is just log base e, which 'undoes' powers, so you you're looking for the power of e that equals e in this case. (e^1=e^ln(x) => e^(lnx) is just x, =>e=x).

Related to What is the derivative of y=1/xlnx?

1. What is the basic rule for integrating ln(x)?

The basic rule for integrating ln(x) is that the integral of ln(x) is equal to x times ln(x) minus x, plus a constant of integration.

2. How do I solve for the integral of ln(x) when the limits of integration are given?

To solve for the integral of ln(x) when the limits of integration are given, you can use integration by parts or substitution. For example, if the limits are from a to b, you can substitute u = ln(x) and du = dx/x, and then solve for the integral in terms of u. After that, you can substitute back in x and solve for the constant of integration.

3. Can I simplify the integral of ln(x) into a simpler form?

Yes, the integral of ln(x) can be simplified using properties of logarithms. For example, you can use the property ln(xy) = ln(x) + ln(y) to simplify the integral into ln(x^n) form. From there, you can use the property ln(x^n) = nln(x) to further simplify the integral.

4. Are there any special cases for integrating ln(x)?

Yes, there are special cases for integrating ln(x) such as when the integral is from 0 to 1. In this case, you can use the fact that ln(x) becomes negative infinity as x approaches 0, and use integration by parts to solve for the integral.

5. How can I use integration involving ln in real life applications?

Integration involving ln is commonly used in finance and economics, as well as in physics and engineering. For example, in finance, the natural logarithm is used to model continuous compounding, while in physics, it is used to model exponential decay. It can also be used to solve for the area under a curve in various real-life scenarios.