What is the Derivative of g(x) when x=0 in the Equation g(x) + x sin g(x) = x^2?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where g(x) + x sin g(x) = x^2 and the task is to find g'(0). The conversation walks through the steps of using implicit differentiation and the chain rule to find the derivative, and eventually simplifying it to g'(x) = [2x - sin g(x)] / [1 + xcos g(x)]. The final answer is g'(0) = -sin g(x).
chaslltt

Homework Statement

If g(x) + x sin g(x) = x^2 find g'(0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At this point I have tried a few things but hit deadends. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
try using implict differentiation, then sub in for x = 0

Or just differentiate.

Show us what you have tried...

my first step took me to this:
g'(x) + xcos g'(x) + sin g(x) = 2x
then i set it equal to g'(x)
g'(x)= 2x- sin g(x)/xcos(1)
I would then plug in 0 but that makes the denominator 0

chaslltt said:
my first step took me to this:
g'(x) + xcos g'(x) + sin g(x) = 2x

The first, third, and fourth terms are correct, but the second is wrong. To differentiate x sin(g(x)) you need the product rule and the chain rule.
d/dx(x sin(g(x))) = x*d/dx(sin(g(x)) + 1* sin(g(x))

d/dx(sin(g(x)) is NOT cos(g'(x)). That's not how the chain rule works.

What should you get with d/dx(f(g(x))?

d/dx f(g(x)) would be f'(x)g(x)*g'(x)

cos(g(x))*g'(x)

Yes. Now put this back your differentiation problem for the part that was incorrect.

alright i ended up getting
g'(x)= 2x- sin g(x)/(1+cos g(x)
so then i plug in the 0 but what is g(0)

have a look at your original equation, when x = 0

not quite my friends...there is a solution to this one. dig more.

yeah i think we already outlined it

chaslltt said:
alright i ended up getting
g'(x)= 2x- sin g(x)/(1+cos g(x)
so then i plug in the 0 but what is g(0)

First of all there's something missing in this equation: the x in front of cos g(x).

blake knight said:
First of all there's something missing in this equation: the x in front of cos g(x).

You should obtain an equation in the form of: g'(x)=[2x-sin g(x)]/[1+xcos g(x)].

blake knight said:
You should obtain an equation in the form of: g'(x)=[2x-sin g(x)]/[1+xcos g(x)].

Now, understanding what the problem really asks for, it is asking for g'(0), meaning what is the value of g'(x) when x=0.

blake knight said:
Now, understanding what the problem really asks for, it is asking for g'(0), meaning what is the value of g'(x) when x=0.

You can substitute 0 now for x, you will end up getting: g'(0) = -sin g(x)<----this solves the problem.

Related to What is the Derivative of g(x) when x=0 in the Equation g(x) + x sin g(x) = x^2?

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to its variables. It involves calculating the derivative of a function, which represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a specific point.

2. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, economics, and engineering. It allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of systems and make predictions about their future behavior. It is also used to optimize and solve problems in real-world situations.

3. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

While differentiation is used to find the rate of change of a function, integration is the reverse process and is used to find the total amount or accumulation of a function. In other words, differentiation is used to break down a function into smaller parts, while integration is used to combine those parts back into the original function.

4. What are the different methods of differentiation?

The most commonly used method of differentiation is the power rule, which involves multiplying the coefficient of a variable by its exponent and then decreasing the exponent by 1. Other methods include the chain rule, product rule, quotient rule, and implicit differentiation.

5. How can differentiation be applied in real-world situations?

Differentiation has many real-world applications, such as determining the velocity and acceleration of an object in physics, finding the marginal cost and revenue in economics, and optimizing functions in engineering. It can also be used to model and analyze various natural phenomena, such as population growth and chemical reactions.