What is the Cosine of a 2 by 2 Matrix?

In summary: The matrix is diagonalizable with the given eigenvectors and eigenvalues, but the diagonalization is not unique. In summary, the cosine of a 2 by 2 matrix can be found by factoring it into a product of matrices and then applying the cosine function to each individual matrix. There are multiple ways to factor a matrix, such as finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and the diagonalization is not unique.
snesnerd
I have to find the cosine of the following:

| 1 0 |
| 2 2 |

This is a 2 by 2 matrix. I have been reading my linear algebra book for awhile now, and theirs no information at all on how do to something like this. Not sure how to find the cosine of a matrix. Could not really find any pages online either.

Physics news on Phys.org
The cosine of a matrix is defined by extending the power series definition of a cosine to taking a matrix as an argument. Can do the same with exponentials, of course.

There are many ways one of which is to factor your matrix

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0\\
2 & 2
\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}
-1 & 0\\
2 & 1
\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0 & 2
-1 & 0\\
2 & 1
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

The cosine is then easy to find

[tex]\cos \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0\\
2 & 2
\end{bmatrix}=\begin{bmatrix}
-1 & 0\\
2 & 1
\cos(1) & 0\\
0 & \cos(2)
-1 & 0\\
2 & 1
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

How did you factor the matrix that way?

snesnerd said:
How did you factor the matrix that way?

lurflurf found the eigenvalues and eigenvectors and diagonalized the matrix.

Note that you need to use what haruspex said to understand why lurflurf's calculation makes sense.

snesnerd said:
I have to find the cosine of the following:

| 1 0 |
| 2 2 |

This is a 2 by 2 matrix. I have been reading my linear algebra book for awhile now, and theirs no information at all on how do to something like this. Not sure how to find the cosine of a matrix. Could not really find any pages online either.

Besides what has already been suggested, here is another way: for an nxn matrix A whose eigenvalues ##r_1, r_2, \ldots, r_n## are all distinct, there exist matrices ##E_1, E_2, \ldots, E_n## such that for any analytic function f(x) we have
[tex] f(A) = E_1 f(r_1) + E_2 f(r_2) + \cdots + E_n f(r_n),[/tex] In your case you have two eigenvalues (1 and 2), so f(A) = E1*f(1) + E2*f(2). You can easily determine E1 and E2 by applying this to the two functions f(x) = 1 = x^0 (giving f(A) = I, the identity matrix) and f(x) = x (giving f(A) = A). That is we have
[tex] I = E_1 \, 1^0 + E_2 \, 2^0 = E_1 + E_2,\\
A = E_1 \, 1 + E_2 \, 2 = E_1 + 2E_2,[/tex] and solving gives
[tex] E_1 = \pmatrix{1&0\\-2&0}, \: E_2 = \pmatrix{0&0\\2&1}.[/tex] Thus,
[tex] \cos(A) = E_1 \, \cos(1) + E_2 \, \cos(2).[/tex]

Note that we have f(A) = E1*f(1) + E2*f(2), so, for example, we have lots of other results, like
[tex] A^{100} = E_1 1^{100} + E_2 2^{100}\\
A^n = E_1 + E_2 2^n \\
e^{At} = E_1 e^{1t} + E_2 e^{2t}, \: \text{ etc.}[/tex]

RGV

Hmm everything seems to make sense except one thing. I do not get lurflurfs results. My eigenvalues are 1 and 2, and when I solve I get:

|-1| when lambda is 1
| 2|

|0| when lambda is 2
|0|

So I get:

| -1 0 | which is what Ray Vickson got.
| 2 0 |

However when I solve D = P^-1 A P, I just get a matrix with zeros for D which is not the correct answer. Other then that, all the other reasoning makes sense to me.

snesnerd said:
Hmm everything seems to make sense except one thing. I do not get lurflurfs results. My eigenvalues are 1 and 2, and when I solve I get:

|-1| when lambda is 1
| 2|

|0| when lambda is 2
|0|

So I get:

| -1 0 | which is what Ray Vickson got.
| 2 0 |

However when I solve D = P^-1 A P, I just get a matrix with zeros for D which is not the correct answer. Other then that, all the other reasoning makes sense to me.

The zero vector is never an eigenvector. There are nonzero eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalue 2.

Related to What is the Cosine of a 2 by 2 Matrix?

1. What is the definition of cosine of a 2 by 2 matrix?

The cosine of a 2 by 2 matrix is a mathematical operation that produces another 2 by 2 matrix as a result. It is calculated by taking the cosine of each element in the original matrix.

2. How is the cosine of a 2 by 2 matrix different from the cosine of a scalar value?

The cosine of a 2 by 2 matrix is a matrix itself, while the cosine of a scalar value is a single number. This means that the result of cosine on a matrix will also be a matrix, while the result of cosine on a scalar will be a number.

3. What are the applications of cosine of a 2 by 2 matrix in real life?

The cosine of a 2 by 2 matrix is commonly used in linear algebra and differential equations to solve systems of equations. It also has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. Can the cosine of a 2 by 2 matrix be negative?

Yes, the cosine of a 2 by 2 matrix can be negative. This means that at least one of the elements in the resulting matrix will be negative. The negative value indicates that the original matrix had a negative angle of rotation.

5. How is the cosine of a 2 by 2 matrix related to other trigonometric functions?

The cosine of a 2 by 2 matrix is closely related to the sine and tangent functions. In fact, the cosine matrix can be calculated using the sine and tangent matrices. Additionally, the cosine of a matrix can also be used to find the inverse cosine, or arccosine, of a matrix.