What is the correct way to draw this internal reflection

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of drawing reflections and how to determine the correct placement of the first reflection. The conversation also mentions following the law of reflection and using a photo as reference.
Syndy
image.jpg

image upload no size limit

http://postimage.org/]image.jpg[/PLAIN]
image hosting adult

The answer is saying the following,

initial reflection + 0 or 1 further reflection only, not at lower surface

must be straight and reach within 1cm of end.
---------
How come 0 or 1 reflection only ? The length is long to take only one reflection!

I also attached a photo of how I think it should be drawn.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Looking at your drawing, it seems to me that the first reflection is not symmetrical.. Did you draw a Normal and get the angles i and r the same.? Your picture seems to bring the first reflection to hit the lower surface much too soon. I could believe the 'real answer' more than yours. (That third reflection of yours looks even worse.)

Actually this is not my drawing . I found it in the internet but this is exactly the way I have drawn too.

Well, it can't be right if it doesn't follow the laws of reflection, can it?

I agree. It doesn't follow the law of reflection !

So it's wrong. Draw it so it does follow the law and you should get the right answer. :wink:

What do you think about the asnwer in the mark scheme?

I can't be bothered to draw it out but it looks OK when I do it 'by eye'. Have you drawn it out carefully and do you disagree with it?

Related to What is the correct way to draw this internal reflection

1. What is internal reflection?

Internal reflection is a phenomenon in which light rays traveling through a denser medium, such as glass or water, encounter a less dense medium at an angle greater than the critical angle. This results in the light being reflected back into the denser medium instead of passing through it.

2. How do you determine the correct way to draw internal reflection?

The correct way to draw internal reflection can be determined by using Snell's law, which states that the angle of incidence is equal to the angle of reflection. This means that the angle at which the light rays strike the interface between the two mediums must be equal to the angle at which they are reflected.

3. What factors affect the angle of internal reflection?

The angle of internal reflection is affected by the refractive indices of the two mediums, the angle at which the light rays enter the interface, and the wavelength of the light. Additionally, the surface of the interface and any impurities or imperfections in the medium can also affect the angle of internal reflection.

4. How is internal reflection used in practical applications?

Internal reflection is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in optical fibers for telecommunication, in cameras and binoculars to redirect light, and in mirrors for reflecting light. It is also used in various scientific instruments, such as microscopes and telescopes, to manipulate and redirect light.

5. Is internal reflection always 100% efficient?

No, internal reflection is not always 100% efficient. Some of the light rays may be absorbed or scattered as they pass through the interface, resulting in a loss of intensity. Additionally, if the angle of incidence is not greater than the critical angle, the light will not undergo internal reflection and will instead pass through the interface.