Is it Total internal reflection, or something else?

In summary: Yes, this is a very accurate description of what we are seeing in the photos. The light refracts through the material, causing it to illuminate.
samak
Is this process known as "total internal reflection"? Or is it called something else? What is the name of this process that causes the entire material to light up even though the light is applied only to one side?

Take a look at the photos so you can see what I am asking about.

Notice how the light in the key chain is only applied from one direction, yet the entire keychain appears to "light up". Is that caused by total internal reflection?

I cannot post full links right now so find the picture on tinyurl:

tinyurl dot com/cu989ek

You also see it on some exit signs like this:
tinyurl dot com/dxl2jd2

A few other examples:
tinyurl dot com/c58oqsv
tinyurl dot com/cor6t22

Wikipedia defines total internal reflection as:"Total internal reflection is an optical phenomenon that happens when a ray of light strikes a medium boundary at an angle larger than a particular critical angle with respect to the normal to the surface."

But that does not seem to be what is happening in the photos I showed you above. From the photos above, the "critical angle with respect to the normal to the surface" does not seem to matter. Or am I missing something here?

Science news on Phys.org
I don't think you need total reflection for the light to spread around within the acrylic glass. Some of it is partial reflection, but you don't see much of the part that escapes because it is bend towards the surface and you look rather perpendicular to the surface. The edges glow because they are rough and reflect / refract in all directions.

So in order to describe the phenomenon that we see in those pictures, what is the way you would describe it?

Would this be accurate: "The light refracts through the material, causing it to illuminate."

Related to Is it Total internal reflection, or something else?

1. What is total internal reflection?

Total internal reflection is a phenomenon that occurs when a ray of light traveling through a denser medium hits the boundary of a less dense medium at an angle greater than the critical angle. This causes the light to reflect back into the denser medium, rather than refracting through the boundary.

2. How is total internal reflection different from regular reflection?

Regular reflection occurs when a ray of light hits a smooth, flat surface and reflects off at the same angle it hit the surface. Total internal reflection, on the other hand, occurs at the boundary between two different mediums and is dependent on the angle of incidence and the critical angle.

3. Can total internal reflection occur in all materials?

No, total internal reflection can only occur when light travels from a denser medium to a less dense medium. This typically occurs in materials such as water, glass, or plastic.

4. How is total internal reflection used in everyday life?

Total internal reflection has many practical applications, such as in fiber optics where light is transmitted through a glass fiber via total internal reflection. It is also used in optical devices like prisms and binoculars to redirect light and create images.

5. Is total internal reflection the only type of reflection that can occur?

No, there are two other types of reflection: regular reflection and diffuse reflection. Regular reflection occurs on smooth, flat surfaces, while diffuse reflection occurs on rough surfaces and scatters light in many different directions.