What is the Correct Value of the Square of a Momentum Operator?

In summary, the conversation discusses the value of the momentum operator and its relation to kinetic energy. The square of -i is actually -h^2, resulting in the correct value of -h^2/2m for kinetic energy. The use of complex numbers is also mentioned, with the conclusion that i*i = -1 and -i*-i = -1.
hnicholls
know I'm missing something obvious.

for a momentum operator p = -iħ d/dx

if I square the -iħ part I get (+1)ħ2

but I believe the correct value (as in the kinetic energy of the Hamiltonian) is

-ħ/2m d2/dx2.

how is the value of the term -ħ/2m where the square of -i = +1?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
i * i = -1 and so -i * -i = -1 * i * -1 * i = 1 * i * i = i * i = -1

Kinetic energy is given by
K = (1/2)*m*v^2 = (p^2)/(2m).
(-ih)^2 is actually equal to -h^2, because (-i)*(-i) = -1.
Hence, K = (p^2)/2m = (-h^2/2m)*(d^2/dx^2)

jedishrfu said:
i * i = -1 and so -i * -i = -1 * i * -1 * i = 1 * i * i = i * i = -1

this suggests, i x i = -1 and -i x -i = -1 x i x -1 x i = 1 x -1 = -1

right?

Related to What is the Correct Value of the Square of a Momentum Operator?

1. What is the square of a momentum operator?

The square of a momentum operator is a mathematical operation that is used to calculate the magnitude of momentum for a particle in quantum mechanics. It is represented by the symbol p² and is defined as the product of the momentum operator (p) and itself.

2. How is the square of a momentum operator related to the energy of a particle?

In quantum mechanics, the square of a momentum operator is related to the energy of a particle through the Hamiltonian operator. The Hamiltonian operator is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a system. It is defined as the sum of the kinetic energy operator (p²/2m) and the potential energy operator (V).

3. Can the square of a momentum operator be used to determine the position of a particle?

No, the square of a momentum operator cannot be used to determine the position of a particle. In quantum mechanics, the position and momentum of a particle are described by a set of operators known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. The uncertainty principle states that the more precisely the momentum of a particle is known, the less precisely its position can be known and vice versa.

4. How is the square of a momentum operator represented in mathematical notation?

The square of a momentum operator is represented in mathematical notation as p² or p^2. It can also be written in terms of the momentum operator as p · p or p * p.

5. What is the physical significance of the square of a momentum operator?

The square of a momentum operator has physical significance in quantum mechanics as it represents the magnitude of momentum for a particle. The magnitude of momentum is an important quantity in understanding the behavior and properties of particles, such as their energy levels and wave functions.