What is the Correct Solution for Capacitor/Inductor Charging Equation?

• Thread starter sirpsycho85
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charging
In summary, the authors have developed a formula for capacitor voltage for an RC circuit with a single resistor and single cap. They arrive at the general form of the differential equation, with time constant T. However, when they try to solve the equation without multiplying by -1, they get different results.
sirpsycho85
This isn't homework, but it feels like it...it's from the Dorf & Svoboda Introduction to Electric Circuits, 6th ed. on p 298, if you happen to have that.

I'm following the derivation of the formula for capacitor voltage for an RC circuit with a single resistor and single cap, or the current in the simple inductor circuit. Arriving at the general form of the differential equation, with time constant T:

dx(t)/dt + x(t)/T = K

rewritten:

dx/dt = (KT - x)/T

now, in the next step, the authors separate the variables and multiply each side by -1, yielding:

dx/(x - KT) = -dt/T

and go on to integrate both sides and arrive at:

ln(x - KT) = -t/T + D

D being the constant of integration. Raising e to both sides you get:

x(t) = KT + Ae-t/T

where A is eD, and you can go on using initial conditions to solve for the constant.

I can't get the same result when I don't multiply both sides by -1 when separating variables before solving the equation. My steps are as follows:

dx/dt = (KT - x)/T

dx/(KT - x) = dt/T having not multiplied by -1

ln(KT - x) = t/T + D

KT - x = Aet/T

x(t) = KT - Aet/T

This doesn't appear to be the same solution, as en is not equal to -e-n.

Can somebody please help me figure out what I've missed?

Oh, and hello everybody. I'm a junior engineer but work in a field that barely ever touches on a lot of what I learned in school...I've decided to start studying again to make sure I retain the fundamentals, especially if I do switch into a hardware design position.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I spotted the mistake,

(d/dx)ln(x - KT) = 1/(KT - x)

but

(d/dx)ln(KT - x) = -1/(KT - x)

so

dx/(KT - x) ==> (-1)ln(KT - x)

hope that helps :)

---

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right! I was thinking about the whole denominator when I should have been careful and integrated with respect to x.

Last edited:

Related to What is the Correct Solution for Capacitor/Inductor Charging Equation?

1. What is the difference between a capacitor and an inductor?

A capacitor is a two-terminal electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field, while an inductor is a two-terminal electronic component that stores electrical energy in a magnetic field.

2. How does a capacitor charge?

When a voltage source is connected to a capacitor, it causes a buildup of charge on the plates of the capacitor, creating an electric field between them. This process continues until the capacitor is fully charged and the voltage across it is equal to the voltage of the source.

3. How does an inductor charge?

When a current source is connected to an inductor, it causes a buildup of energy in the magnetic field surrounding the inductor. This process continues until the inductor is fully charged and the current flowing through it is equal to the current of the source.

4. What is the relationship between voltage and current in a charging capacitor?

In a charging capacitor, the voltage across the capacitor increases as the current flowing into the capacitor decreases. This relationship is described by the equation V=Q/C, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge on the capacitor, and C is the capacitance.

5. How does the time constant affect the charging of a capacitor or inductor?

The time constant, also known as the RC or L/R time constant, determines the rate at which a capacitor or inductor charges. A larger time constant means a slower charging process, while a smaller time constant results in a faster charging process.