What is the correct order of all Mathematics topics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best order of learning mathematics and provides resources for self-study. Suggestions include starting with basic concepts like counting and progressing to more advanced topics such as calculus and linear algebra. It is also advised to be flexible and follow one's interests while studying.
Frank Li
I've trying to organize my path of study in mathematics, but in every resources online are different. Can anyone request a great order of learning them or a real curriculum of schools. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most people start by learning how to count. If you don't need to go back that far, you might want to tell us what level you're starting from.

Likes TJGilb
“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

The title of this thread is amusing. Correct order, indeed. But anyway, I bookmarked these stackexchange threads that may be helpful to you:

http://math.stackexchange.com/quest...s-of-mathematics-should-i-study/394655#394655
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/181984/complete-course-of-self-study
And this was one of the best offerings in the thread above: https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~abhishek/chicmath.htm

If you're like me, you'll go in between bouts of wanting to do things very strictly and systematically and then getting impatient and flitting back and forth between whatever seems interesting at the moment.

I mean, I guess all of mathematics is founded upon Set Theory. Then Arithmetic. After that you could branch into Algebra or Geometry, or both simultaneously. Then into Calculus, Linear Algebra, Discrete Mathematics. And eventually you arrive at Differential Equations, Numerical Analysis, and all the other fields most people probably never touch. Oh, and I guess you can throw Statistics in there somewhere.

Related to What is the correct order of all Mathematics topics?

1. What are the basic topics that should be covered first in mathematics?

The basic topics that should be covered first in mathematics are counting, addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These topics form the foundation for more complex mathematical concepts.

2. Is there a specific order in which geometry, algebra, and calculus should be studied?

Yes, typically geometry is studied before algebra, and algebra is studied before calculus. Geometry introduces students to basic geometric concepts and proofs, which are helpful in understanding algebraic concepts. Algebra then introduces students to equations, variables, and functions, which are necessary for understanding calculus.

3. What topics should be covered after algebra and geometry?

After algebra and geometry, students typically move on to trigonometry, statistics, and probability. These topics build upon the algebraic and geometric concepts learned previously and introduce new mathematical ideas and applications.

4. Why is it important to study all topics in mathematics in a specific order?

Studying mathematics in a specific order allows students to build upon previously learned concepts and develop a deeper understanding of the subject. Each topic in mathematics is interconnected, and studying them in order helps students see the connections and apply their knowledge to more complex problems.

5. Are there any exceptions to the typical order of studying mathematics topics?

Yes, there can be exceptions to the typical order of studying mathematics topics, depending on the individual student's strengths and interests. For example, some students may excel in algebra and prefer to study statistics before trigonometry. It is important for educators to be flexible and cater to the individual needs of their students.