What is the Correct Integration by Substitution for \int \frac{3x}{2x+3}?

In summary, integration by substitution, also known as u-substitution, is a technique used to solve definite and indefinite integrals by replacing a variable in the integrand with a new variable, typically denoted as u. This is most useful when the integrand contains a function that is the derivative of another function. To perform this technique, identify the derivative function, choose a new variable, calculate its derivative, replace the identified function and its derivative in the integral, simplify using the new variable, integrate, and replace u with the original function. However, there are limitations to using this method, such as not working for complex functions, and it can be used for both definite and indefinite integrals.
tweety1234

Homework Statement

[tex] \int \frac{3x}{2x+3} [/tex]

[tex] u = 2x +3 [/tex]

[tex] x = \frac{1}{2}(u-3} )[/tex]

[tex] dx = \frac{1}{2} du [/tex]

so now the integral should be,

[tex] \int \frac{ \frac{3u-9}{2}}{u} \times \frac{1}{2} du [/tex]

= [tex] \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{3u-9}{2} \times \frac{1}{u} du [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{3u-9}{2u} du [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{3u}{2u} - \frac{9}{2u} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{3}{2} - \frac{9}{2u} [/tex]

= [tex] \frac{1}{2} [ \frac{3}{2}u - \frac{9}{2} ln(2u)] [/tex]

so final answer, after simplifying is ; [tex] \frac{3}{2}x +\frac{9}{4} - \frac{9}{4}ln(4x+6) +c [/tex]

but my book says the correct answer is [tex] \frac{3}{2}x - \frac{9}{4}ln(2x+3) +c [/tex]

So if anyone can tell me where I have gone wrong, I would really appreciate it.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The two answers are equivalent, just with different constants of integration. Remember, [itex]\ln(4x+6)=\ln(2)+\ln(2x+3)[/itex], so the additional terms are just constants which can be absorbed into the integration constant.

gabbagabbahey said:
The two answers are equivalent, just with different constants of integration. Remember, [itex]\ln(4x+6)=\ln(2)+\ln(2x+3)[/itex], so the additional terms are just constants which can be absorbed into the integration constant.
Oh okay thanks, I didn't think of it like that, are you also referring to the extra 9/4 term that I get?

so both answers are valid?

Yes, so the difference between the two is a constant equal to 9/4 + ln(2).

Related to What is the Correct Integration by Substitution for \int \frac{3x}{2x+3}?

1. What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution, also known as u-substitution, is a technique used to solve definite and indefinite integrals. It involves replacing a variable in the integrand with a new variable, typically denoted as u, to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

2. When should integration by substitution be used?

Integration by substitution is most useful when the integrand contains a function that is the derivative of another function. This allows for the u-substitution to simplify the integral and make it solvable.

3. How do you perform integration by substitution?

To perform integration by substitution, follow these steps:

1. Identify the function that is the derivative of another function in the integrand.
  2. Choose a new variable, u, to replace the identified function.
  3. Calculate the derivative of u, du.
  4. Replace the identified function and its derivative with u and du in the original integral.
  5. Simplify the integral using the new variable, u.
  6. Integrate the simplified integral with respect to u.
  7. Replace u with the original function to find the final solution.

4. Are there any limitations to using integration by substitution?

Yes, there are limitations to using integration by substitution. It may not always work for integrals with complex functions or those that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions.

5. Can integration by substitution be used for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by substitution can be used for both definite and indefinite integrals. For definite integrals, the limits of integration must also be changed accordingly when substituting the variable.