What is the Correct Integral for x * (arcsin x) * (1-x2)-1/2 dx?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of x * (arcsin x) * (1-x2)-1/2 dx using integration by parts. After multiple attempts, it is determined that the correct answer is ((arcsin x) * (1-x2)1/2) - x.
Zoe-b

Homework Statement

Find the integral of x * (arcsin x) * (1-x2)-1/2 dx

Homework Equations

integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

u = x, u' = 1
v' = (arcsin x) * (1-x2)-1/2 (= f(x) * f'(x) )
so v = ((arcsin x)2) / 2

using integration by parts
uv - integral of u'v

= x * ((arcsin x)2) / 2 - integral of ((arcsin x)2) / 2

Now use integration by parts for a second time to find the new integral, taking the half out as a constant:

w = arcsin x w' = (1-x2)-1/2

z' = arcsin x
so z = x * (arcsin x) + (1-x2)1/2

wz - integral of w'z

= x * (arcsin x)2 + (arcsin x) * (1-x2)1/2 - integral of [
x * (arcsin x) * (1-x2)-1/2 + 1]

Substitute back into first equation (ie multiply above by -1/2)

integral of x * (arcsin x) * (1-x2)-1/2 dx =

x * ((arcsin x)2) / 2 - x * ((arcsin x)2) / 2 - ((arcsin x) * (1-x2)1/2) / 2 + 1/2 * [integral of x * (arcsin x) * (1-x2)-1/2 dx] + 1/2 * integral of 1 dx

let [integral of x * (arcsin x) * (1-x2)-1/2 dx ] = I

I = - ((arcsin x) * (1-x2)1/2) / 2 + I/2 + x/2

I/2 = - ((arcsin x) * (1-x2)1/2) / 2 + x/2

I = - ((arcsin x) * (1-x2)1/2) + x

However when I check this by differentiation I end up with - x * (arcsin x) * (1-x2)-1/2. Hence I think the correct answer is ((arcsin x) * (1-x2)1/2) - x

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Ironically, the mistake was in your differentiation :-p

Lol. Finally found where I was going wrong- differentiated (1-x2)1/2 aand forgot the minus sign. Thought I was going mad :P Thanks!

Related to What is the Correct Integral for x * (arcsin x) * (1-x2)-1/2 dx?

1. What does "Spot the mistake integration" mean?

"Spot the mistake integration" is a method used in scientific research to identify and correct any errors or mistakes in data analysis, experimental design, or other aspects of the scientific process. It involves carefully examining and comparing all data and methods used in a study to ensure accuracy and validity.

2. Why is "Spot the mistake integration" important in scientific research?

Scientific research relies on accurate and reliable data and methods. Any mistakes or errors in the research process can lead to incorrect conclusions and potentially harm the overall scientific progress. Therefore, "Spot the mistake integration" is crucial in ensuring the quality and validity of scientific findings.

3. How do scientists carry out "Spot the mistake integration"?

Scientists use various techniques to spot and correct mistakes in their research. This may include double-checking data, conducting peer reviews, and replicating experiments. They also use statistical analysis and other tools to identify any anomalies or inconsistencies in the data.

4. Is "Spot the mistake integration" only used in scientific research?

No, "Spot the mistake integration" can be applied in any field where accuracy and reliability are essential. It can be used in business, finance, and other areas to ensure that decisions and conclusions are based on accurate information.

5. How can we prevent mistakes in scientific research?

The best way to prevent mistakes in scientific research is to follow rigorous and standardized methods, maintain detailed and organized records, and involve multiple researchers in the study. Additionally, transparency and open communication within the scientific community can help identify and correct any mistakes quickly.