What Is the Correct Formula for Calculating Speed in Uniform Circular Motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem where a pilot is flying a vertical loop and the speed of the airplane at the top and bottom of the loop is being calculated using the equations v^2/r = a-g and v^2/r = a+g respectively. The conversation also includes a question about plugging in the equations correctly and potential choices for the speed at the top of the loop.
d.tran103
Can someone tell me how I am plugging this in wrong? And am I using the right equations? Thanks!

Homework Statement

A pilot is flying a vertical loop of radius 290 m, and at the top of the loop is pushing against the seat with a force of .25 "g's" {or Normal force = .25mg}. What is the speed of the airplane at that moment?

In the above loop problem, if at the bottom of the loop the pilot is pushing against the seat with 6.0 "g's", what is his tangential or linear speed?

Homework Equations

v^2/r = a-g

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged everything in but keep getting a negative number that cannot be square rooted. This is what I'm plugging in. How am I plugging this in wrong?

v^2/290 = 9.8*(0.25) - 9.8

Physics news on Phys.org
My choices for part a are:
60 m/s
77 m/s
53 m/s
81 m/s

This makes no sense!

At the top of the loop the forces acting on the pilot are the seat pushing on him and gravity. Hence the total force is

F = mg + 0.25mg
= 1.25mg
also
[tex]
F = ma = mv^2/r
[/tex]

equate these two and resolve for v

At the bottom of the loop, again calculate the resultant force and use the same method to solve.

d.tran103;3188783 v^2/r = a-g [/QUOTE said:
Here use v^2/r = a+g.
Because a, v^2/r and g have the same direction

d.tran103 said:
v^2/r = a-g

Here use v^2/r = a+g.
Because a, v^2/r and g have the same direction

Related to What Is the Correct Formula for Calculating Speed in Uniform Circular Motion?

1. What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object's velocity remains constant, but its direction is constantly changing, resulting in a circular motion.

2. How is uniform circular motion different from non-uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object remains constant, while in non-uniform circular motion, the speed changes at different points along the circular path. In other words, the velocity of an object in non-uniform circular motion is not constant.

3. What is the centripetal force in uniform circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of the circular path, keeping the object in its circular motion. It is always directed perpendicular to the object's velocity and towards the center of the circle.

4. How is the centripetal force related to the object's mass and velocity?

The centripetal force is directly proportional to the object's mass and the square of its velocity. This means that if the mass or velocity increases, the centripetal force also increases.

5. Can an object in uniform circular motion experience a change in its speed?

No, an object in uniform circular motion cannot experience a change in its speed. This is because the speed remains constant in this type of motion. However, the direction of the object's velocity is constantly changing, resulting in a circular motion.