What Is the Correct Derivative of Log(cosh(x-1))?

• Thread starter Ryansf98
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: When you write a fraction where either the numerator or the denominator contains multiple terms, you have to surround that part with parentheses or other enclosing symbols.
Ryansf98

Homework Statement

f(x) = Log(cosh(x-1)), find f'(x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f'(x) = [1/cosh(x) - 1] * d/dx [cosh(x) - 1], => f'(x) = sinh(x) / [cosh(x) - 1]

Although, my marking scheme says the answer should instead be; cosh(x) + 1 / sinh(x).

Can someone explain where I'm going wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ryansf98 said:

Homework Statement

f(x) = Log(cosh(x-1)), find f'(x).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

f'(x) = [1/cosh(x) - 1] * d/dx [cosh(x) - 1], => f'(x) = sinh(x) / [cosh(x) - 1]

Although, my marking scheme says the answer should instead be; cosh(x) + 1 / sinh(x).

Can someone explain where I'm going wrong? Thanks.
Check the function f(x) in the problem. Is it really ##f(x)=\log(\cosh(x-1))##?

ehild said:
Check the function f(x) in the problem. Is it really ##f(x)=\log(\cosh(x-1))##?

Screenshot (56).png

Question 16. Definitely yeah.

Ryansf98 said:
View attachment 198135

Question 16. Definitely yeah.
log(cosh(x)-1) is not the same as log(cosh(x-1)). The argument of cosh is x in the original problem, you wrote(x-1).
You made errors with the parentheses in the solution. Somehow you wrote the correct derivative, but the marking scheme is not correct.

ehild said:
log(cosh(x)-1) is not the same as log(cosh(x-1)). The argument of cosh is x in the original problem, you wrote(x-1).
You made errors with the parentheses in the solution. Somehow you wrote the correct derivative, but the marking scheme is not correct.

Ah apologies, I tend to overuse brackets & at times make mistakes as a result. I'm working from a University past paper so I assumed the marking scheme to be correct no matter what as it's a paper from 2014.

So in either circumstances with the parenthesis, there is no way that function could have a derivative equal to the marking schemes answer?

The derivative of f(x)=log(cosh(x)-1) is ##\frac{sinh(x)}{\cosh(x)-1}## as you wrote, and that is not among the given answers.

Ryansf98 said:

Ryansf98 said:
Ah apologies, I tend to overuse brackets & at times make mistakes as a result.
Overuse is not the problem here -- [1/cosh(x) - 1] -- in the righthand side of the first equation above.
What you wrote means ##\frac 1 {\cosh(x)} - 1##, which I'm sure isn't what you intended.

When you write a fraction where either the numerator or the denominator contains multiple terms, you have to surround that part with parentheses or other enclosing symbols.

Related to What Is the Correct Derivative of Log(cosh(x-1))?

What is the derivative of log(coshx-1)?

The derivative of log(coshx-1) is 1/(coshx-1).

How do you find the derivative of log(coshx-1)?

To find the derivative of log(coshx-1), you can use the chain rule and the derivative of coshx, which is sinh x. The derivative is 1/(coshx-1) multiplied by the derivative of coshx, which is sinh x.

Why is the derivative of log(coshx-1) 1/(coshx-1)?

The derivative of log(coshx-1) is 1/(coshx-1) because of the logarithmic rule for the derivative, which states that the derivative of log(x) is 1/x.

Can the derivative of log(coshx-1) be simplified further?

Yes, the derivative of log(coshx-1) can be simplified further by using trigonometric identities. The final simplified form is (1-sinh^2 x)/(coshx-1), which can be further reduced to cosh x/(coshx-1).

What is the significance of the derivative of log(coshx-1)?

The derivative of log(coshx-1) has applications in calculus and physics, particularly in the study of motion and energy. It also has uses in finance and economics for calculating rates of change and growth. In general, the derivative helps us understand how a function changes over its domain.