What is the Correct Characteristic for log15 850?

In summary, the individual is struggling with understanding the concept of the characteristic in logarithms and has discovered a mistake in their answer book. They are seeking clarification on how to correctly evaluate the expression log15 850 and are grateful for the help provided.
nvez
Hello,

I understand the current concept of the characteristic however there either is a mistake in my answerbook or I made a mistake

log15 850 = 850(1/15) = 1.568

The characteristic should be 1 and the mantissa is 0.568 -- My answer book says it's 2. I have done all my other exercices and they were correct, just wondering if this is an exception (different concept because base > 10?)

Thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
nvez said:
Hello,

I understand the current concept of the characteristic however there either is a mistake in my answerbook or I made a mistake

log15 850 = 850(1/15) = 1.568
The value for the characteristic in your book is right. Both expressions to the right above are wrong.
log15 850 is not the 15th root of 850.
Think about the basic definition of the logarithm base whatever. By definition,
loga b is the exponent on a that produces b.
IOW, if loga b = N, then aN = b.

For your problem, log15 850 has to be somewhere between 2 and 3, since 15^2 = 225 < 850 < 3375 = 15^3.

Obviously you are not going to be able to evaluate the expression directly using a calculator.

Let log15 850 = L. Now rewrite this log equation as an exponential equation, and then take the log of both sides in some more convenient base so that you can solve for L.
nvez said:
The characteristic should be 1 and the mantissa is 0.568 -- My answer book says it's 2. I have done all my other exercices and they were correct, just wondering if this is an exception (different concept because base > 10?)

Thanks in advanced.

Mark44 said:
log15 850 is not the 15th root of 850.
Think about the basic definition of the logarithm base whatever. By definition,
loga b is the exponent on a that produces b.
IOW, if loga b = N, then aN = b.

That was my problem! I got it all figured out now.

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help and your dedicated time to this!

Related to What is the Correct Characteristic for log15 850?

What is the definition of Logarithm Characteristic?

Logarithm characteristic is the integer part of a logarithm. It is the number of digits before the decimal point in the logarithm.

How is Logarithm Characteristic calculated?

The logarithm characteristic is calculated by counting the number of digits in the left hand side of the decimal point in the logarithm.

What does the Logarithm Characteristic represent?

The logarithm characteristic represents the order of magnitude of the number in the logarithm. It indicates the scale or size of the number.

What is the significance of Logarithm Characteristic in scientific calculations?

The logarithm characteristic is important in scientific calculations because it helps to simplify complex calculations involving large numbers. It also aids in converting between logarithmic and exponential form.

How do you distinguish between positive and negative Logarithm Characteristic?

A positive logarithm characteristic is represented by a positive integer, while a negative logarithm characteristic is represented by a negative integer.