What is the Convergence Interval and Endpoint Tests for a Geometric Series?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving finding the convergence interval and checking the points for the series \sum \frac{(x+4)^n}{(2n-1)3^(n-1)}. It also includes a discussion about the correct approach to using the ratio test and finding the divergent quotient. It is determined that the series converges for -7 < x < -1 and diverges for all other values of x.
Turbine

Homework Statement

First of all, in the below equation, it won't let me display it correctly. In the denominator is supposed to display 3^(n-1), NOT 3(n-1).

So, I need to find the convergence interval and check the points. So far, I've found the intervals and checked both of the points to converge to 0. So my interval I obtained is [-13/3, -11/3].

I would love input as to whether or not I'm correct.

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]\frac{(x+4)^n}{(2n-1)3^(n-1)}[/tex]

(Remember, it's supposed to read (...)3^(n-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got to (6n-3)/(2n+1) = 6/2 = 3, so... =3|x+4| < 1

|x+4| < 1/3 (series converges) ...

-1/3 < x+4 < 1/3

-13/3 < x < -11/3

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have something upside down in your ratio test. I get |x+4|/3<1. And I also don't get that both endpoints converge. Can you try that again and show your work?

Sure thing! Here's everything I've got...

[tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]\frac{(x+4)^n}{(2n-1)3^(n-1)}[/tex]

(again, it's supposed to be (...)3^(n-1) )

Now I do (or try to) do the ratio test...
L = LIM [tex]\frac{(x+4)^n+1}{(2n+1)3^(n)}[/tex][tex]\frac{(2n-1)3^(n-1)}{(x+4)^n}[/tex]

From that (and it isn't displaying properly), I do some canceling, and end up with...

L= LIM [tex]\frac{3(x+4)(2n-1)}{(2n+1)}[/tex]

I then take out the 3(x+4) and put it before the LIM...

L= 3(x+4) LIM [tex]\frac{2n-1}{2n+1}[/tex]

Not sure what else to do with that, I use L'Hospital's rule and get 2/2 = 1

Then...

= 3|x+4| < 1

= |x+4| < 1/3

so...

-1/3 < x+4 < 1/3

-13/3 < x < -11/3

It didn't look quite right to me... any guidance would be hugely appreciated. Thanks!

I got -7 < x < -1 and my end points don't converge.

You messed up your algebra,[tex]3^{n-1} / 3^{n} [/tex] is 1/3

Wow... yep, needless to say you are most definitely correct... the algebra always gets me! Let me re-work this now...

Thank you!

After going through it again, I do indeed get |x+4|/3 < 1, so...

-3 < x+4 < 3

finally...

-7 < x < -1Checking the points... plugging -7 in I do find it converges to 0.

Plugging -1 in and doing a ratio test again, I get it converges to 1, hence diverges. My final divergent quotient is:

3(2n-1) / 3(2n+1) = 1

... hopefully that is the correct way to do it... I'm learning all kinds of things tonight, some things make more sense than others! ;-) Thanks guys!

Turbine said:
After going through it again, I do indeed get |x+4|/3 < 1, so...

-3 < x+4 < 3

finally...

-7 < x < -1

Checking the points... plugging -7 in I do find it converges to 0.

Plugging -1 in and doing a ratio test again, I get it converges to 1, hence diverges. My final divergent quotient is:

3(2n-1) / 3(2n+1) = 1

... hopefully that is the correct way to do it... I'm learning all kinds of things tonight, some things make more sense than others! ;-) Thanks guys!

Of course the ratio test is going to give you 1 at the endpoints. But that doesn't mean it diverges there. It's means the ratio test is inconclusive. You have to do another test at the endpoints. What's the form of the series at each endpoint?

Related to What is the Convergence Interval and Endpoint Tests for a Geometric Series?

What is a Convergence Series Interval?

A Convergence Series Interval is a mathematical concept used to determine whether an infinite series of numbers is convergent or divergent. It is the range of values for which the sum of the series will converge, or approach a finite limit.

How do you determine the Convergence Series Interval?

To determine the Convergence Series Interval, you must use a convergence test, such as the Ratio Test, Root Test, or Integral Test. These tests compare the given series to a known convergent or divergent series, and based on the result, the Convergence Series Interval can be determined.

What is the significance of the Convergence Series Interval?

The Convergence Series Interval is important because it helps us determine whether a series will approach a finite value or diverge to infinity. This information is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science, such as in calculating probabilities, modeling physical phenomena, and solving differential equations.

Can a series have multiple Convergence Series Intervals?

No, a series can only have one Convergence Series Interval. If the series converges, the Convergence Series Interval will be a single value or range of values for which the series will approach. If the series diverges, the Convergence Series Interval will be infinite.

What is the difference between a Convergence Series Interval and a Convergent Series?

A Convergence Series Interval is the range of values for which a series will converge, while a Convergent Series is a series that approaches a finite limit. The Convergence Series Interval is determined by a convergence test, while a Convergent Series is determined by the behavior of the series itself.