What is the Controversy Surrounding Retrocausality?

In summary, retrocausality is a concept that suggests that events in the future could influence events in the past. However, this idea is not widely accepted and has only been applied in limited and unrealistic scenarios, such as in Feynman diagrams. It is not applicable in mainstream interpretations of quantum mechanics, except for Cramer's "transactional" interpretation, which is not widely accepted. Overall, retrocausality does not have much relevance in understanding quantum mechanics and its behaviors.
Jimih
i looked it up on the wiki page and was a little hard for me to understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
It pretty much means exactly what wiki says – You have a Timelike separated events A happening before B with some effect happen at A depending on what independent is done at B where the choice of what happens at B in not affected at all by what had already happened at B, rather that some aspect of what happens at A is caused by the result at B.

Why would we even consider retrocausality? Because of apparent QM non-local behaviors between Spacelike separated events. (Timelike & Spacelike both on Wiki under Spacetime)

Retrocausality, that almost no one believes is true or can be proved, is one of many unrealistic ways that might demonstrate the existence of “Non-Local” reality. But applied inside certain very limited microscopic limits the idea can work out mathematically rather nicely to describe and predict some results. Feynman diagrams are probably the most famous of those limited examples.

RandallB said:
It pretty much means exactly what wiki says – You have a Timelike separated events A happening before B with some effect happen at A depending on what independent is done at B where the choice of what happens at B in not affected at all by what had already happened at B, rather that some aspect of what happens at A is caused by the result at B.

wouldn't this in a way defy Qm as they theorize probablitly of all events which are relatively independent. however if A is casued by B, then it sounds very very fate like. I believe in FAte (no imnot religious I am atheist) but in the scientific way. i nelieve that everythin is meant to happen due to sapce-time. space time isa llways reversing in imaginary relative perspectaves

sudhirking said:
wouldn't this in a way defy Qm
Well sure, so would any experimentally proven correct re-interpretation of oQM like MWI etc. If for no other reason; QM claims that no other description can be more complete that what Copenhagen QM already allows. Hence the claim to being as complete as it can get.

The only place retrocausality has been useful is in limited unrealistic analogies (Feynman diagrams) that do not challenge the completeness of QM.

None of the alternative interpretations of QM have come close to describing a more correct or complete view of behaviors and IMO retrocausality is far short of matching what QM can discribe.

RandallB said:

Starting with Newtonian mechanics. The laws of physics are time symmetrical at the level of interacting particles. The distinction between 'cause' and 'effect' is only temporal order. Cause proceeds effect. Applying retrocausality assummes a reversal in order; an absurdity.

On top of Newtonian mechanics add thermodynamics, viscosity and friction; addition of processes that are not symmetrical on replacement of t with -t. In the case of thermodymanics the conditions that lead to 4 fast particles in one side of a box and 4 slow particles in the other side on might call trivial thermodynamic retrocausality; the entropy at a later time is only trivially decreased.

Why would we even consider retrocausality? Because of apparent QM non-local behaviors between Spacelike separated events. (Timelike & Spacelike both on Wiki under Spacetime)

Retrocausality, that almost no one believes is true or can be proved, is one of many unrealistic ways that might demonstrate the existence of “Non-Local” reality. But applied inside certain very limited microscopic limits the idea can work out mathematically rather nicely to describe and predict some results. Feynman diagrams are probably the most famous of those limited examples.

I don't see how you apply notions of cause and effect to spacelike separated events.

Phrak said:
I don't see how you apply notions of cause and effect to spacelike separated events.
I don't - Only a Non-Local discription such as QM can.
If you want to know how take the time to learn about "Feynman diagrams"; wiki, google, or theard scheach here all all OK IMO.

I misspoke, then.

I'm curious as to where causality or retrocauality has any applicability in nonlocal interpretrations of quantum mechanics. If there's really anything to say about it, as the Wikipedia article asserts without substance, I'd be interested.

If you want to know how take the time to learn about "Feynman diagrams"; wiki, google, or theard scheach here all all OK IMO.

You got the hiccups Randall?

Retrocausality really has no applcability in any interpretation of QM except Cramer's "transactional" interpretation, which he speculates would allow you to send a message back in time. No other mainstram interpretation has retrocausality as a relevant or even existent feature.

Thanks peter. I guess it's about time I looked into what Cramer's talking about.

peter0302 said:
You got the hiccups Randall?

Retrocausality really has no applcability in any interpretation of QM except Cramer's "transactional" interpretation, which he speculates would allow you to send a message back in time. No other mainstram interpretation has retrocausality as a relevant or even existent feature.
"You got the hiccups" I have no idea what that slang might mean - care to explain.

Are you saying Feynman is not mainstream - Do you know what "Feynman diagrams" are?
Care to explain to Phrak what an arrow pointing at a downward angle in a Feynman diagram means to mainstream scientist. Mainstream scientific analysis of quantum microscopic behaviors of virtual and force particles has been in use for years.

Remember: Mainstream scientists are allowed to use Non-Local, (That includes Unrealistic) descriptions at the microscopic level as they limit themselves from extending Unrealistic assumptions to anything macroscopic..

Did you just have a hiccup?

It's cool, Randall, and thanks for responding. Pete was just making a small joke, not intended to offend, I'm sure.

The problem is over interpretation of the languge. Whenever one heards talk about interpretations of quantum mechanics it's about how to interpret the meaning of fundamental quantum mechanics, rather than --I don't know--, an 'instantiation' like a quantum field theory.

So that actually brings up a very good question: "Why leave quantum field theory out, in considering interpretations of quantum mechanics?"

I still don’t see the joke or point in minimizing Feynman contributions to mainstream science.

"Why leave quantum field theory out” What makes you think that is happening, there are plenty of books on QFT.

The joke was that you repeated yourself verbatim rather than answer the man's question directly. A little passive-aggressive IMO.

peter0302 said:
The joke was that you repeated yourself verbatim rather than answer the man's question directly. A little passive-aggressive IMO.
But that question could not have been asked if the repeated reply had not been already ignored and Feynman Diagrams had actually been looked up.
So I’d see it as a pat on the back to help interrupt a series of question “hiccups” as you’d call it.

Have you formed Your Opinion on if Feynman application of backwards time is mainstream or not yet?

1) I do not take Feynman's application of backwards time arrows in his diagrams to be physical retrocausality so much as a hueristic. Those are two different things and Phrak was obviously talking about the former.

2) Please see my post in forum feedback. This little exchange is what prompted it. I have nothing else to add.

Sorry you for some reason took offense - but to be honest I could easily see my making the same PF forum complaint about your behaving sarcastically in a passive aggressive manner and bring up unrelated issues in a thread.
But when I think I see people behave that way I assume they completely understand whatever the issue may be or my position on it – hence I have no complaint nor lose any sleep over it.
Don’t know what to tell you other that then to adopt the same attitude.

IMO Sudhirking and Phrak are both doing just fine, and have what they need here.
That they see some folks have different opinions I sure comes as no surprise.

So I'm out of this one as well, with nothing more to add.

Related to What is the Controversy Surrounding Retrocausality?

What is Retrocausality?

Retrocausality is the concept of an effect occurring before its cause. It suggests that the future can influence the past, contrary to our traditional understanding of causality.

How does Retrocausality differ from traditional causality?

Traditional causality follows the principle that the cause must always precede the effect. Retrocausality challenges this by suggesting that effects can influence their causes.

Is Retrocausality a proven scientific concept?

No, retrocausality is still a highly debated and speculative concept in the scientific community. While there have been some studies and theories that suggest the possibility of retrocausal effects, there is currently no concrete evidence to support it.

What are some potential implications of Retrocausality?

If retrocausality were to be proven true, it would challenge our understanding of time and causality. It could potentially change our approach to predicting and understanding events in the past, and have significant impacts on fields such as physics and philosophy.

How can Retrocausality be tested or studied?

There are various theories and experimental designs that have been proposed to test the concept of retrocausality. These include studying anomalies in quantum mechanics, conducting thought experiments, and exploring the possibility of time loops. However, further research and experimentation is needed to fully understand and test retrocausality.