What is the connection between x^2 and a square shape?

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation y = x2 and its connection to the shape of a square. The equation represents the area of a square with sides x units long, while the shape Square shown in the conversation is actually a rectangle. The equation y = x2 can also be used to find the volume of a cube, but the shape of the graph does not resemble any solid figure.
pairofstrings
Hello.
The curve y = x2 is a parabola that looks like this:
parabola_zpshi9dc55l.png

I have a shape Square that looks like this:
square_zpseaoxh72l.png

What I am noticing is that if I consider the equation y = x2 and also the shape Square, I find that there is no connection between them but the equation y = x2 is pronounced as x-square.

Can someone please clarify the link between Square shape and the equation y = x2?

Thanks!

Attachments

• parabola_zpshi9dc55l.png
    parabola_zpshi9dc55l.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 879
  • square_zpseaoxh72l.png
    square_zpseaoxh72l.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 1,006
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your second diagram shows a square where the x-axis side is 6 units long and the y-axis side is 6 units long.

So the x-axis and y-axis represents length in some unit of measure like feet or meters.

Your first diagram is different in that the y-axis represents area ie feet^2 or meters^2 and so given some x units in feet or meters you can look at its y-value to get the area of a square with sides that x units long. If you look at 6 on the x-axis you will see the y value = 36 which is the area of your square.

There is nothing more to see here.

pairofstrings said:
I have a shape Square that looks like this:
View attachment 227977
You realize that is not a square, right? It is a five by six rectangle.

Likes jedishrfu
jbriggs444 said:
You realize that is not a square, right? It is a five by six rectangle.

Good catch, I didn't see that. It could be the source of confusion ie 30 units^2 =/= 36 units^2

##x \cdot x## or ##x^2## (read as x squared) is the area of a square x units on a side.
##x \cdot x \cdot x## or ##x^3## (read as x cubed) is the volume of a cube x units on a side.
For exponents 4 or higher, ##x^4, x^5, \dots## are just read as x to the fourth power, x to the fifth power, and so on.

As @jedishrfu already said, there is no direct connection between the parabola ##y = x^2## and a square, other than this function gives you the area of a square x units on a side. In the same way, the graph of ##y = x^3## gives you the volume of a cube x units on a side, but the shape of the graph does not appear as a solid figure of any kind.

Deleted. Mark beat me to it.

Related to What is the connection between x^2 and a square shape?

What is the connection between x^2 and a square shape?

The connection between x^2 and a square shape is that x^2 is the mathematical representation of a square's area. In other words, x^2 represents the product of a number multiplied by itself, which is the formula for finding the area of a square.

How is x^2 related to the length and width of a square?

The value of x^2 is equivalent to the area of a square, which is determined by multiplying the length and width of the square. Therefore, x^2 is related to the length and width of a square as it represents their product.

Can x^2 be used to find the perimeter of a square?

No, x^2 cannot be used to find the perimeter of a square. The perimeter of a square is determined by adding all four sides together, which is not represented by x^2. However, x^2 can be used to calculate the length or width of a square if the perimeter is known.

Is x^2 applicable to all types of squares?

Yes, x^2 is applicable to all types of squares, regardless of their size or dimensions. As long as the shape is a square, the area can be represented by x^2.

How is x^2 used in real-life applications?

X^2 has various applications in real life, such as in construction, architecture, and engineering. It is used to calculate the area of a square-shaped room or building, determine the amount of material needed for a square-shaped structure, and in other mathematical and scientific calculations.