What is the connection between row reduction and matrix inversion?

In summary, Gaussian Elimination, which involves row reduction, is used for finding the inverse of a matrix by applying the same row operations to the identity matrix. This is possible because every row operation corresponds to an "elementary" matrix, which can be multiplied in a specific order to get the inverse of the original matrix. This method may not seem obvious for finding matrix inversion, but it is a convenient and efficient method.
Wicketer
I'll start off with my question:

Why do we use Gaussian Elimination when inverting a matrix? (this is only one of the methods...which is the only one that doesn't make sense to me).

I know how to do it, but I'm not sure why it works. When solving a system of linear equations, I understand why Gaussian Elimination works: to me, it's just the adding and subtracting of equations until a desirable form is reached. But Gaussian Elimination doesn't seem to be as obvious a tool in matrix inversion.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Gauss method for finding the inverse B of a matrix A, AB = I, corresponds to solving n linear systems, one for each column of B.

If by "Gaussian elimination" you mean "row reduction", one way to think about it is this:
to every row operation, there exist an "elementary" matrix that you get by applying that row operation to the identity matrix.

That is, if we are working with 3 by 3 matrices and we apply the row operation "add 3 times the second row to the third row" to the identity matrix we get
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 3 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and, further, multiplying that "elementary matrix" by any matrix does that row operation:
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 3 & 1\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f\\ g & h & j\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}a & b & c \\ d & e & f \\ g+ 3d & h+ 3e & j+ 3f\end{bmatrix}[/tex].

So, suppose some set of row operations, R1,then R2, ..., Rn reduce the matrix A to the identity matrix I. Call the corresponding elementary matrices M1, M2, ..., Mn so that Mn... M2M1A= I (notice the order- applying R1 first means we have to multiply M1 first). That is the same as (Mn...M2M1)A= I which is exactly saying that Mn...M2M1 is [itex]A^{-1}[/itex]. But now [itex]A^{-1}= Mn...M2M1= Mn...M2M1I[/itex] and multiplying those matrices, in that order, by the indentity matrix is the same as applying the row operations R1, R2, ..., Rn, in that order, to the identity matrix.

That is why "Gaussian Elimination" (row reduction) works. You determine row operations that will reduce the matrix A to the identity matrix while applying the same row operations to the identity matrix. That is the same as determining the matrices M1, M2, etc. while performing the matrix multiplications [itex]Mn...M2M1I= A^{-1}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to What is the connection between row reduction and matrix inversion?

What is "Inverting Matrices Confusion"?

"Inverting Matrices Confusion" refers to the difficulty or confusion that arises when trying to invert, or find the inverse of, a matrix. An inverse matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, results in an identity matrix.

Why is it important to understand how to invert matrices?

Inverting matrices is an important concept in linear algebra and is used in many fields of science and mathematics. It allows us to solve systems of linear equations, calculate determinants, and perform transformations. It also has practical applications in engineering, physics, and computer graphics.

What are the common mistakes made when inverting matrices?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to switch the positions of the elements in the matrix, not using the correct formula for finding the inverse, and not reducing the matrix to reduced row echelon form before inverting. Another mistake is trying to invert a matrix that is not invertible, or singular.

How can I avoid confusion when inverting matrices?

Practice and understanding the concepts behind matrix operations is key to avoiding confusion when inverting matrices. It is also important to double check your work and use the correct formulas. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or teacher can clarify any confusion and provide guidance on how to approach different types of matrices.

Are there any tips for efficiently inverting matrices?

Some tips include reducing the matrix to reduced row echelon form before finding the inverse, checking for singularity before attempting to invert, and using the properties of matrices such as the identity matrix and inverse of a product. It can also be helpful to break down the inversion process into smaller steps and to practice with different types of matrices.