Matrices and systems of equations

In summary, matrices can be used to solve systems of equations by eliminating variables using multiplication and subtraction. This method is known as Gaussian elimination. Matrices can also be used to solve systems of differential equations, although the reason why this works may not be fully understood. To improve understanding of matrix theory, almost any book on linear algebra can be helpful, such as "Linear algebra done wrong" by Sergei Treil. A simple example of using matrices to solve equations is shown, where the determinant is used to represent the coefficients and solve for the variable.
Avatrin
Hi

I am now filling in what I perceive to be gaps in my knowledge. One of these problems is understanding why matrices can solve systems of equations. I do completely get Gaussian elimination to solve systems of linear equations. However, when using determinants and the like to solve, for instance, systems of differential equations, I do not feel I have properly learned why that works.

Whenever I pick up a book on systems theory, I am reminded that I understand metric spaces and Lebesgue integration better than something as basic as a matrix. I need to change that.

What book can, through a rigorous manner, explain matrix theory to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost any book on linear algebra will do. "Linear algebra done wrong" by Sergei Treil recently became my favorite linear algebra book.

Perhaps it would help to look at a very simple example. Suppose we have the equations ax+ by= c and dx+ ey= f. I decide to eliminate "y" and solve for x. Multiply the first equation by "e": aex+ bey= ce. Multiply the second equation by b: bdx+ bey= bf. Now that y has the same coefficient in each equation, we eliminate y by subtracting: (aex+ bey)- (bdx+ bey)= (ae- bd)x= ce- bf. So, as long as ae- bd is not 0, x= (ce- bf)/(ae- bd).

You can see that this is the same as "As long as [itex]\left|\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ d & e\end{array}\right|[/itex] is not 0,
[tex]x= \frac{\left|\begin{array}{cc} c & b \\ f & e \end{array}\right|}{\left|\begin{array}{cc}a & b \\ d & e\end{array}\right|}[/tex]".

Related to Matrices and systems of equations

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is often used to represent data or to solve systems of equations.

2. What is the purpose of using matrices?

Matrices are used to organize and manipulate data in various fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer science. They are also used to solve systems of equations and perform transformations in linear algebra.

3. How do you add or subtract matrices?

To add or subtract matrices, the matrices must have the same dimensions. Simply add or subtract the corresponding elements in each matrix to get the resulting matrix.

4. What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that contain the same variables. The solution to a system of equations is the set of values that make all of the equations true.

5. How do you solve a system of equations using matrices?

To solve a system of equations using matrices, the equations must be written in matrix form. Then, the augmented matrix is reduced using row operations until it is in row-echelon form. The solutions can then be found by back substitution or by using inverse matrices.