What is the connection between discriminants and Galois groups?

• Thread starter mathwonk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, consider a field k and the affine n space Y = k^n, whose coordinates a1,...,an parametrize monic polynomials over k. and over it consider the space S of solutions of those polynomials, i.e. S = {(a,x): where a = (a1,...,an) is a polynomial, and (x1,...,xn) are the roots of a lying in an algebraic closure K of k}. The space X = {(a,x): x is a root of a lying in an algebraic closure of K} is the space of all pairs (a,x) where x is a root
mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
consider a field k and the affine n space Y = k^n, whose coordinates a1,...,an parametrize monic polynomials over k. and over it consider the space S of solutions of those polynomials, i.e. S = {(a,x): where a = (a1,...,an) is a polynomial, and (x1,...,xn) are the roots of a lying in an algebraic closure K of k}.

thus S is a subset of k^n x K^n.

Let D in k^n be th zero locus of the discriminant formula of polynomials of degree n, so that a is in D if and only if there are fewer than n distinct roots of the polynomial a.

Then, since the roots of each a are ordered, the degree of the map S--->Y is n!, but there are fewer than n! preimages precisely of the points a of D.

Now consider the map S-->>X from S onto a subspace X of k^n x K, sending (a,x1,...,xn) to (a,x1). Thus X is the space of all pairs (a,x) where x is a root of a. thus we have maps S-->X-->Y where the first (left) map has degree (n-1)! and the second (right) map has degree n.

Both maps S-->Y and X-->Y have the same discriminant locus D in Y. Then map S-->Y is the normal closure of the map X-->Y, in the sense that this is true of the induced map via pulback of functions, on their function fields.

Moreover the group of deck transformations of S should presumably equal the Galois group of this normal field extension, and in the complex case. also the monodromy representation of the fundamental group.

Now in the general case, this Galois group should still be S(n), but what happens if we focus on one point a, i.e. one polynomial. It would be nice to obtain the galois group of this polynomial from the general one.

supose we take the ring k[X1,...,Xn] of the space Y, and the maximal ideal m corresponding to the point a and localize at it, getting k of course. upstairs we have the ring of S i guess, and can consider all maximal ideals of that ring which pull back to m, via the ring inclusion of k[Y] into k.

now what? I suppose we want to consider the galois representation of the big galois group, no wait. we want some subgroup of the general group S(n). Maybe we should consider those automorphisms of the field k(S) that what? preserve the ring k? or that preserve one of the ideals over m?

hmmmmm... how do we get the Galois group of a from this geometry? I think it has something to do with "inertia groups" for those who know this stuff.

This is the level of galois theory one gets from Lang, as contrasted with other books, like mine.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have a book on Galois theory? Do tell!

just my webnotes from my courses.

1. What is a discriminant in geometry?

A discriminant in geometry is a mathematical term used to describe the relationship between the roots of a quadratic equation and the graph of the associated parabola. It is represented by the expression b²-4ac, where a, b, and c are the coefficients of the quadratic equation ax²+bx+c=0.

2. What is the significance of the discriminant in geometry?

The discriminant in geometry helps determine the nature and number of solutions of a quadratic equation. If the discriminant is positive, the equation has two real solutions, if it is zero, the equation has one real solution, and if it is negative, the equation has no real solutions.

3. How is the discriminant used in the study of conic sections?

The discriminant is used to classify conic sections into different types, such as ellipse, parabola, and hyperbola. This is done by analyzing the value of the discriminant in the general equation of a conic section, which is given by Ax² + By² + Cx + Dy + E = 0.

4. Can the discriminant be used to determine if a quadratic equation has complex solutions?

Yes, the discriminant can be used to determine if a quadratic equation has complex solutions. If the discriminant is negative, it indicates that the equation has complex solutions, which can be expressed in the form a+bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

5. How does the discriminant relate to the graph of a quadratic function?

The discriminant provides information about the graph of a quadratic function by indicating the number and nature of its x-intercepts. If the discriminant is positive, the graph will intersect the x-axis at two distinct points. If it is zero, the graph will intersect the x-axis at one point, and if it is negative, the graph will not intersect the x-axis at all.