What is the confidence interval if the sample size is 30 instead?

In summary: Equation 2: 120 + A/sqrt(30) = 123Once you have solved for A, you can substitute it into the equation with the question marks to get your final result.
finalight

Homework Statement

In a primary school, the mean height of the students of primary 1 students is 120cm. Given a sample size of 40, the confidence interval is 117 and 123. Find the confidence interval if the sample size is 30 instead.

Homework Equations

Standard deviation and confidence level is not given in this question

The Attempt at a Solution

It's a test, so I just gave it up due to not enough time to attempt to it. Test paper aren't given back, but I remember the question in details.

However i ask my one of my classmate and his solution was 120 +- x/[sqrt(40)/sqrt(30)] though the reason he told was like rocket science to me

Physics news on Phys.org
finalight said:

Homework Statement

In a primary school, the mean height of the students of primary 1 students is 120cm. Given a sample size of 40, the confidence interval is 117 and 123. Find the confidence interval if the sample size is 30 instead.

Homework Equations

Standard deviation and confidence level is not given in this question

The Attempt at a Solution

It's a test, so I just gave it up due to not enough time to attempt to it. Test paper aren't given back, but I remember the question in details.

However i ask my one of my classmate and his solution was 120 +- x/[sqrt(40)/sqrt(30)] though the reason he told was like rocket science to me

Welcome to PF, finalight! :smile:

Do you have a formula for the calculation of a confidence interval?
From it, you can deduce the effect on the confidence interval if the sample size changes.

There is an assumption in your problem statement however.
Apparently it is assumed that the standard deviation of the sample of 40 is the same as the standard deviation of the sample of 30.

yes, i also assume that the standard deviation and the confidence level remain the same

however, even with the given formula, i still do not know how to calculate the result, because there are two unknowns; the confidence level and the standard deviation itself

If you write down the formula for n=30 and also for n=40, you'll see that they have a part in common.
You need to make use of that.

Can you perhaps write down your formula?

the general formula would be

mean +- confidence level * standard deviation/sqrt(sample size)

120 +- x * s/sqrt(40) = 117,123
120 +- x * s/sqrt(30) = ?,?

that's what i got, still can't see the similarity, except for the two unknowns there

unless you want me to use simultaneous equation...

Let's give x * s another name.
Let's call it A=x * s.

So your first equation (only the lower bound) is:
120 - A/sqrt(40) = 117

Can you solve A from this equation?
And then substitute the result in your second equation?

so that means

120 +- A/sqrt(30) = 117,123
-----------------------------------
Equation 1: 120 - A/sqrt(30) = 117

Equation 2: 120 + A/sqrt(30) = 123

are you referring to something like that?

I meant you to substitute the solution for A into:
120 +- A/sqrt(30) = ?,?

Then you get the result you want (the question marks).

Can you solve A from equation 1?
Equation 1: 120 - A/sqrt(30) = 117

Or from equation 2, which should give you the same result?

Related to What is the confidence interval if the sample size is 30 instead?

What is a confidence interval?

A confidence interval is a range of values that is likely to contain the true population parameter with a certain level of confidence. It is calculated from a sample and is used to estimate the true value of a population parameter.

Why is finding the confidence interval important?

Finding the confidence interval is important because it helps to determine the accuracy and precision of a statistical estimate. It also allows for comparison and generalization of results to the entire population.

How is the confidence interval calculated?

The confidence interval is calculated using the sample mean, standard deviation, sample size, and a chosen level of confidence. The formula for calculating a confidence interval is: CI = x̄ ± z * (σ/√n), where x̄ is the sample mean, z is the z-score corresponding to the chosen level of confidence, σ is the sample standard deviation, and n is the sample size.

What is the significance of the chosen level of confidence?

The chosen level of confidence represents the probability that the true population parameter falls within the calculated confidence interval. For example, a 95% confidence interval means that there is a 95% chance that the true population parameter falls within the calculated range.

Can the confidence interval be used to make conclusions about causation?

No, a confidence interval can only be used to make conclusions about the likelihood of an event occurring. It cannot determine causation, as it is based on correlation between variables and not a cause-and-effect relationship.